ERROR: KDE shadow password error although no shadow passwords used

ERROR: KDE shadow password error although no shadow passwords used

Post by Andreas Reute » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi Folks,

I get the following error message from Setting up Screensaver:

Warning: You wont be able to lock the screen

Your system uses shadow passwords.
Tell him that you need suid for the kcheckpass program!

Cu Andy

Post by Christian Eske » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Hi Folks,

>I get the following error message from Setting up Screensaver:

>Warning: You wont be able to lock the screen

>Your system uses shadow passwords.
>Please contact your system administrator.
>Tell him that you need suid for the kcheckpass program!

Just do what he tells you. chown kcheckpass to root.root
and then make it SUID root via chmod.

  Christian

--
Is Unix ready for the desktop? See http://www.kde.org

The                              Christian Esken
|/  Desktop                      KDE Developer

KDE - The net transparent free Unix Desktop for everyone

ERROR: KDE shadow password error although no shadow passwords used

Post by Chris Spieg » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:53:26 +0100,

>I get the following error message from Setting up Screensaver:
>Your system uses shadow passwords.
>Please contact your system administrator.
>Tell him that you need suid for the kcheckpass program!

Did you even try what the error message said?  It is very self explanitory.
You need the kcheckpass program suid root.  Either ask your sysadmin to do
it, or if you are the owner of the computer, enter the following command as
root:
chmod 4755 `which kcheckpass`

You may find it worth your while to snag a UNIX book and learn a bit about the
basics of system administration, if this is your personal box (not intended
as an insult or anything; it just is always nice to have a reference handy)

Chris
--
 //   // //\\  // // \\//  Please change orj to org