GraphicalLogin problem

Post by David Gaylar » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Can anyone help please ?

I use the KDE Graphical Login, but it has gone horribly wrong.  Now, it
seems unable to get into the graphics mode and gets stuck in a loop
retrying.  Is there a way perchance to bypass the graphical login e.g. by
holding down some combination of keys?  Then perhaps I can begin to worry
about getting back into KDE......

(My own fault I'm sure, I ran YAST - but only to try to get it to take more
notice of my new Logitech Mouse........)

Thanks in advance,  Dave.

GraphicalLogin problem

Post by Stev » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

When presented with the LILO prompt type in

linux single

This puts you in the single mode without graphics or networking, edit
your /etc/inittab and change

id:5:initdefault:

id:3:initdefault:

Reboot and you will be in full multiuser mode with networking.  Fix your
X server problem and change it back if you want.  I did the same thing
once, only I compounded the problem by eliminating the LILO prompt all
together because I already choose my OS with System Commander, who needs
another OS chooser eh?  That was a real mess :)

BTW - have you used Midnight Commander yet?  The command is mc (if you
installed it, if you haven't DO SO).  It has a built in editor and
viewer and Norton Commander like navigater.  A real fast easy to use
tool in times like this.

Quote:> Can anyone help please ?

> I use the KDE Graphical Login, but it has gone horribly wrong.  Now,
it
> seems unable to get into the graphics mode and gets stuck in a loop
> retrying.  Is there a way perchance to bypass the graphical login e.g.
by
> holding down some combination of keys?  Then perhaps I can begin to
worry
> about getting back into KDE......

> (My own fault I'm sure, I ran YAST - but only to try to get it to take
more
> notice of my new Logitech Mouse........)

> Thanks in advance,  Dave.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

GraphicalLogin problem

Post by David Gaylar » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Thanks Steve.  Actually my problems are sorted - I got a good response on
pcplus.linux group (nntp.futurenet.com).  And, for anyone interested - I use
loadlin, not lilo, but it does support a command line option "single" to the
same effect.

'fraid I never even heard of midnight commander .... (until now that is)

Dave.

> When presented with the LILO prompt type in

> linux single

> This puts you in the single mode without graphics or networking, edit
> your /etc/inittab and change

> id:5:initdefault:

> id:3:initdefault:

> Reboot and you will be in full multiuser mode with networking.  Fix your
> X server problem and change it back if you want.  I did the same thing
> once, only I compounded the problem by eliminating the LILO prompt all
> together because I already choose my OS with System Commander, who needs
> another OS chooser eh?  That was a real mess :)

> BTW - have you used Midnight Commander yet?  The command is mc (if you
> installed it, if you haven't DO SO).  It has a built in editor and
> viewer and Norton Commander like navigater.  A real fast easy to use
> tool in times like this.

> > Can anyone help please ?

> > I use the KDE Graphical Login, but it has gone horribly wrong.  Now,
> it
> > seems unable to get into the graphics mode and gets stuck in a loop
> > retrying.  Is there a way perchance to bypass the graphical login e.g.
> by
> > holding down some combination of keys?  Then perhaps I can begin to
> worry
> > about getting back into KDE......

> > (My own fault I'm sure, I ran YAST - but only to try to get it to take
> more
> > notice of my new Logitech Mouse........)

> > Thanks in advance,  Dave.

1. problems, problems, 37.5 GB, problems, 1024, problems...

I have an IBM 37.5 GB hard disk and I'm trying to duel boot Windows 98 SE
and Linux.  In the oversize disk HOWTO
(http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.1), it mentions
that a distribution running the 2.2.14 kernel will survive the insane 33.8
GB Linux booting limit.  Does this mean that I can successfully install
RedHat Linux 6.2 (the new RedHat with the Linux 2.2.14 kernel) on hard drive
with partitions like:
--------
|  Windoze  (GBs 1-19)
|            |
|            |
|            |
---------
|     RH 6.2 (20-37.5)
|            |
|            |
|            |
---------

Note:  I can't seem to duel boot the RH 6.1 and Windoze.  I've had many
problems each and every time I try it and I've had to delete all partitions
on my drive and install Windoze using its own CDROM disc and its simple
fdisk.

2. Emulex DCP 486 High Speed Serial card

3. Installation problems, problems, problems!

4. samba - nmbd problem - SOCKET READ ERROR

5. PPP stands for Problem Problem Problem

6. Slackware CD and Teac 55A

7. Problems... problems ... more problems

8. Q: LILO/Linux booting on large hard disks...

9. Problems, Problems, Problems

10. Problem problem problem

11. Linux died...problems, problems, problems....

12. Linux Problems Problems Problems ... DNS, HD, X Windows

13. Problems Problems Problems.... DNS, HD, X