Sound for root but not for user

Post by Phil Lerne » Tue, 22 May 2001 00:44:42

I am using RH 7.i with KDE 2.1.1 and the KDE 2.1.2 libs. I installed the
aureal au8820 driver for my soundcard. I can't get XMMS or the KDE media
player working as a user.
--
Phil Lerner

Post by Philip Lerne » Tue, 22 May 2001 05:33:32

> I am using RH 7.i with KDE 2.1.1 and the KDE 2.1.2 libs. I installed the
> aureal au8820 driver for my soundcard. I can't get XMMS or the KDE media
> player working as a user.
> --
> Phil Lerner

Turned out it is not the sound, I got xmms to work but the kde mediaplayer
(noauton) crashes as soon as a I try to play an mp3, both for root and user

Post by Peter van Baarl » Wed, 23 May 2001 05:10:58

>> I am using RH 7.i with KDE 2.1.1 and the KDE 2.1.2 libs. I installed the
>> aureal au8820 driver for my soundcard. I can't get XMMS or the KDE media
>> player working as a user.
>> --
>> Phil Lerner

> Turned out it is not the sound, I got xmms to work but the kde mediaplayer
> (noauton) crashes as soon as a I try to play an mp3, both for root and
> user

I have no solution, but I have the same problem. Maybe the it is related
with the aureal au8820 driver, since my system uses this as well.

Good luck
(suggestions are always welcome)

Peter.

Sound for root but not for user

Post by lsom » Wed, 23 May 2001 16:01:52

I had the same problem (Sound for root but not for user).
Because the users didn't have read (or write) acces on the /dev/audio_file.

1. System sounds work for root, not for user

Hello,

I'm pretty much a Linux newbie and I'm having problems getting system
sounds to work in the user account (they work just fine in root, but
nowhere else).  I got the CD player to work in the user account by
entering chmod 666 /dev/cdrom; have tried similar entries for
kaudioserver, kwmsound, etc. but have not had success.  Have also issued
numerous chmod commands (as root, of course) for the
files/devices I thought might be involved (audio, audio1, sdb, sbpcd,
sndstat, etc.)

When I exit KDE (as user, not root) I have some messages on the screen
above the command prompt that read:

PID could not get read.
State=0
kaudioserver:  Can't connect to the X Server.
kaudioserver:  Audio system might not terminate at end of session.
Failed starting audio server!

I don't get these messages, and I don't have problems hearing system
sounds, when I'm logged in as root and running KDE that way.

System details:  I'm running Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 (with KDE
1.1.2-13) on a Dell XPS133 (upgraded to 200 MHz with an evergreen add-on

CPU chip) with 64 MB of RAM, a 3.2 GB hd and a Rage IIC video card.
Sound card is a true SB16 w/ AWE32 upgrade.

Appreciate any help you can give me.  Thanks in advance to any gurus
familiar with this problem who can offer some guidance!

John Holder

2. Urgent Q: CDE & .profile ?

3. Sounds work in root, but not in user

4. man pages text only question.

5. Red Hat Linux 6--sound for root, not for users

6. freebsd and cardbus

7. sound works as root but not normal user

8. Linux on a Dell Dimension or Optiplex?

9. System sounds work in root, but not in user

10. System sounds work in root but not user

11. run a non-root user's program from a non-root user

12. Sound problem related tot user vs. root

13. sound for non-root users?