I am si**y am I?

Post by Stefan Arnd » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 03:45:56

Hello,

after installing SuSE 8.0 on my system
(Duron 850, 128MByte RAM, Diamond Stealth III),
I have some mysterious problems:
        By mistake I deleted the area of my control panel
        where kinternet appears. I tried to restart kinternet
        but the small plug icon did not appear.
        All I got was `kinternet is already running. It is the small plug
        icon in the control panel`. Well, kinternet was indeed running
        but there was no plug icon....

        The second problem is that I would like to rip some
        audio CDs and directly convert them to mp3.
        My first try was KOnCD. Well, I was able to start
        the program but I found it somewhat useless.
        The next try was CD Bake Oven. I got the source (1.8.9)
        compiled it, installed it :-)) but first of all CDDB access
        does not work (I had to disable `Perform titles lookup`
        to get it work). Next prob was ripping directly to mp3
        produces empty mp3 files. At least ripping to wav files works.....
        My working solution is know (as root) to type audiocd:/ in
        konqueror, copy a wav file (by name, CDDB works) and
        use bladenc for mp3 conversion.
        I would like to have a program which is able to use
        CDDB (KOnCD, konqueror) and rips directly to mp3
        (?????) since I only rip once in a while.
        (My ATAPI CDROM is configured with ide-scsi)

        And, yes, I do NOT have a windoze partition....

Thanks a lot,

Stefan

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. 3.1.2E kicks me back to the linux prompt right after "startx"

3. DAT/ZIP Linux Backup Solutions

5. makefile problem

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

7. Q: ppp with xisp

11. Specialix SI patches available - SI V1.x support

12. Am I an idiot..... am I? Disk mount prob....