Konqueror well messed up

Post by Graham Brigg » Wed, 01 May 2002 21:36:02

Konqueror has gone and committed hari-kari.

It now does not support any protocols apparently. It doesn't support http,
ftp, file, etc, for some unknown reason.

Well, there might be a reason: do not run menudrake after upgrading to KDE3
- IT KILLS YOUR ENTIRE KDE3 SETTINGS IN A WINDOWS REGISTRY DEATH IMITATION

Until menudrake comes in a version that can save to KDE3 configurations that
is. I didn't mind manually rebuilding my menus (it got rid of the *I
didn't use) I do like a web browser to be able to browse web sites, and I
do like a file browser to be able to browse the file system!

I will try the good old reboot method, but I am not holding out much hope.
And this isn't windows, so I shouldn't need to reboot (admittedly I could
just log out, restart the X server and log in again, but I might as well
just go the whole hog).

Maybe forthcoming configurations of KDE can come with features like "Lock
user configuration" so that nothing else can mess with it...

Graham

Konqueror well messed up

Post by Jerry Gluc » Fri, 03 May 2002 12:11:57

I believe you have to run update-menus (as root), to get your menus back.
I've been using kmenuedit since I lost (and regained) my menus a few weeks
ago...

HTH,

-Jerry

PS - It's not Konqueror at all, it's a problem with MenuDrake.

Quote:

> Konqueror has gone and committed hari-kari.

> It now does not support any protocols apparently. It doesn't support http,
> ftp, file, etc, for some unknown reason.

> Well, there might be a reason: do not run menudrake after upgrading to
> KDE3 - IT KILLS YOUR ENTIRE KDE3 SETTINGS IN A WINDOWS REGISTRY DEATH
> IMITATION

Konqueror well messed up

Post by Alastair Scot » Fri, 03 May 2002 17:17:26

> Konqueror has gone and committed hari-kari.

> It now does not support any protocols apparently. It doesn't support
> http, ftp, file, etc, for some unknown reason.

> Well, there might be a reason: do not run menudrake after upgrading to
> KDE3 - IT KILLS YOUR ENTIRE KDE3 SETTINGS IN A WINDOWS REGISTRY DEATH
> IMITATION

> Until menudrake comes in a version that can save to KDE3
> configurations that is. I didn't mind manually rebuilding my menus (it
> got rid of the *I didn't use) I do like a web browser to be able
> to browse web sites, and I do like a file browser to be able to browse
> the file system!

kmenuedit is still there (although hidden - it's not in the K menu) and
works fine with KDE3.

Alastair

Konqueror well messed up

Post by Graham Brigg » Fri, 03 May 2002 20:58:29

Quote:> I believe you have to run update-menus (as root), to get your menus back.
> I've been using kmenuedit since I lost (and regained) my menus a few weeks
> ago...

AH, thanks for that one - I will give it a go.

Yes, I have been using kmenuedit, but that doesn't allow me to edit the
entries in kcontrol which have all disappeared.

At least I only have the applications that I use on the K menu now...

Graham