Video setup problems

Post by Kerry Mill » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

I'm using Caldera Open Linux 1.3 and have it running but when I start
X it only goes into 640x480 and won't go any higher.  If I go into
XF86Setup and only select 800x600 it won't start the x server at all.
It flashes a screen which says "Attempting to start X server" twice,
then fails.  If I start it in 640x480 it starts fine and goes into KDE
ok, but I don't want 640x480...

I'm using a Diamond Stealth 64 Video 2001 card with 4 megs of ram, but
I tried it with another card last week and ran into the same problem
so it's probably pilot error...

The machine is a Cyrix 166 with 32 megs of ram and a 1.2 gig drive.

Any ideas?

Tnx,
Kerry

Video setup problems

Post by Kerry Mill » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

Duh...  Naturally as soon as I post a note about it I figure it out.
It wasn't a problem with the video card setup at all, I had selected
the wrong monitor.  It's a pretty cheap monitor so I selected the
800x600 standard monitor.  I went down a couple more and got the next
one up, 1024x768 interlaced, it worked fine.

KDE looks good at 600x800 and 16 bpp.  I'm installing Star Office now,
I'm on a roll...

Kerry

>I'm using Caldera Open Linux 1.3 and have it running but when I start
>X it only goes into 640x480 and won't go any higher.

1. video setup problem...

Help.  I've tried installing Linux on my PC and everything installs
just fine.  However, when i try to run xconfig, the video gets all
messed up.  When X-Windows actually come up, the screen seems
to be in an incorrect video mode (ie. I can see three mouse cursors,
and I can see the actual scan lines).  I can't really see what is on
the screen so... I can't use it.

Video Chip:  Cirrus Logic

Thanx

2. KSH backspace

3. Alpha Linux (Multia) Video setup problem

4. Hardware mirror - Sil 0680

5. Setup TV-Card and additional Video-In on Video Card

6. LDFLAGS doesn't work as expected w/ GNU Make

7. Problem with cs5530 video chip, I can't setup a x-window on it?

8. NFS, unable to write to file - locked

9. Dell setup: video and EPP problems

10. Linux Redhat setup - video problem

11. Linux setup problems for X. Video card

12. redhat 7.1 video card setup problem

13. HELP INSTALLATION: Thinkpad A22m Video screen setup problem