Ok i gone try kde2 one more time., but what do i need beside......

Ok i gone try kde2 one more time., but what do i need beside......

Post by collector2 » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 07:47:18

I dloaded from the kde.org  the following files. and tried to install
them in this order like they told somewhere in the howto

1. qt22   -- works
2. kdesupport   --- works
3.  lkdelibs   --- missing .... ....  ....
4. kdebase -- missing files from libs
5. kdeoffice --- idem

Beside the the above files there must be some files/standardlibs the
base system misses. Cant find more info on kde.org. Anybody have an
idea what must be installed at least before the above is enough.
BTW I have  mandrake 7.1 normal  installtion
(only kde1 and  multimedia selected)

Collector

Post by Eli Wapniarsk » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> I dloaded from the kde.org  the following files. and tried to install
> them in this order like they told somewhere in the howto

> 1. qt22   -- works
> 2. kdesupport   --- works
> 3.  lkdelibs   --- missing .... ....  ....
> 4. kdebase -- missing files from libs
> 5. kdeoffice --- idem

> Beside the the above files there must be some files/standardlibs the
> base system misses. Cant find more info on kde.org. Anybody have an
> idea what must be installed at least before the above is enough.
> BTW I have  mandrake 7.1 normal  installtion
> (only kde1 and  multimedia selected)

> Collector

I am using RedHat 6.1 and I installed KDE from the RPMs supplied from
ftp://people.redhat.com. As I was trying to install the apps I discovered
that the following three packages were required.

1) Mesa
2) openSSL
3) popt

I hope this was helpful

Eli
--

Ok i gone try kde2 one more time., but what do i need beside......

Post by collector2 » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I am using RedHat 6.1 and I installed KDE from the RPMs supplied from
>ftp://people.redhat.com. As I was trying to install the apps I discovered
>that the following three packages were required.

>1) Mesa
>2) openSSL
>3) popt

>I hope this was helpful

>Eli

Thank you this will shurely help me.

Post by Eric Laffoo » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> I dloaded from the kde.org  the following files. and tried to install
> them in this order like they told somewhere in the howto

> 1. qt22   -- works
> 2. kdesupport   --- works
> 3.  lkdelibs   --- missing .... ....  ....
> 4. kdebase -- missing files from libs
> 5. kdeoffice --- idem

> Beside the the above files there must be some files/standardlibs the
> base system misses. Cant find more info on kde.org. Anybody have an
> idea what must be installed at least before the above is enough.
> BTW I have  mandrake 7.1 normal  installtion
> (only kde1 and  multimedia selected)

> Collector

Here is a copy of my post on the Mandrake newsgroup, Hope it helps.
-------

If you are interested here is what you need... (assumes a developer install)
From Cooker:
--suggested
new 2.2.17 kernel (be careful! -8rpm ate my reisers support)
XFree86 4.0.1 (search for my post on this newsgroup on installing it)
--You will want to have (get ALL devel rpms too!!!)
qt-2.2
alsa-lib-0.5.9
bzip2-1.0 (need for rpm 3.05 and KDE 2)
glibc-2.1.3
htdig-3.1.5
libpng-1.0.8
rpm-3.0.5
perl-5.6
perl-base-5.6
openssl-0.95a
openjade
--I can't swear you won't succeed without all of the above but you
installation will be lacking features if it completes, most notably docs
and such.
--the following i can't say for sure are needed but I thought they were a
good idea and you might have problems without them.
sgml-common
sgml-tools
jadetex
ld.so-1.9
latest automake
latest autoconf
latest gcc
latest libstc++

Now, after you install that, you are ready to build KDE 2. Trust me, it's
worth it, and besides, you'd need much of the above regardless if you were
installing rpms.

ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/CVS/snapshots/current/
this is where you will find the latest KDE 2 snapshots. You can get to the
kde.org page for info on the beta too. I have had problems with compiling
kdegraphics snapshots but the rest has been good.

Extract your archives and the first three must be done in order. First
decide where you want to put them. I chose /opt/kde2. Another common choice
is /usr/local. Before each compile you must always set two environment
variables, or at least be 100% positve tehy are set...
$ export KDEDIR=/opt/kde2
$ export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt2
You can test a variable by typing
$ echo $KDEDIR
Don't be alarmed if it seems to always be /usr. Now compile.
$ cd ...kdesupport
$ ./configure && make
$ make install (as root)

build and install
kdesuport
kdelibs
kdebase
in that order. Each depends on the one before and all the rest depend on
these.
--
Eric Laffoon
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team

1. First time install - went ok except for these 3 things...

I'm  a long time computer user, been putting up with M$ crap for
years, frustrated with crashes and the like, debated going Mac for
years but finally just decided to give linux a try.

I bought McMillen Deluxe Linux 6.5 which comes with Linux-Mandrake 6.1
and kernal 2.2.13 , KDI 1.1.2

My goal is to be able to surf, read email, and basic office work.  I
also do photo editing and scanning and video editing on my computer
using either photoshop or paintshop pro and Ulead Media studio pro -
but I doubt I'll get either of these running any time soon in linux.

Ok, for the problems:

1) No sound.  I have a SBlive and I know that the code has recently
been released, but going to the site it is unclear to me how to get
this to work.  I know -nothing- about compiling or anything else, but
I can download and type commands as needed if someone can help me.
This seems to be a common problem, but I've been lurking and have
followed a few links yet still not had any success.

2) Modem: I can't find out how to access modem / internet setup.  I
want to establish a PPP dialup through my creative modemblaster v.90
modem.  Have been unable to find where this is done.  I have briefly
looked at both KDE and Gnome and don't know which one I should use
(though it seems like many like Gnome).

3) Fasttrak RAID - now this one I think I'm gonna be screwed on.  I
have a 50+GB IDE Raid that I use for my video editing and Promise does
not have any linux drivers on the site.  Are there any drivers for
Fasttrak cards out there?  If not I guess that means I can't access
those drives at all when booting under linux?

Would VMWARE solve problem #3 - i.e. the windoze drivers would be
loaded yet still be running under linux?

I sure appreciate any help anyone might provide.  I've been a big
information "giver" over the years on the internet, been on since vi
was the newsbrowsing choice and it's kind of refreshing to find the
same sort of community here that I once found the internet as a whole
to have.  I find myself having to be a "asker" this time around and
thank you in advance for any assistance you have.  My time available
for "playing" with this is very limited due to my schedule, but I sure
would like it to work.

Cheers

--
Paul Prior MD     Get rebates on online purchases - up to 25% cash back.
Ashland, KY USA   Including Disney,Borders,DVDexpress,800.com,Dell, petstore

2. Security

3. OK, I"m willing to try one more distro...

4. Network Monitor/Alarm

5. Ok, maybe one last try...

6. Linux on NeXT

7. OK OK So X-window looks like great thing until you try to use it.

8. linux because...?

9. Ok, one more time. :)

10. If you need AIX work done, this company is one of the better ones.

11. ok, one more time -- FS config file patch for cleanup

12. Every time i try on untar something it just goes to the next line

13. Ok..ok..just this one dumb PPP question..