KDE and the best distribution for it

Post by Wharfra » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 12:00:39

I'm not sure this is the right place for this post, but I've been trying to
install Mosfet Liquid on my RedHat 9 machine. This has led me to reading
some articles about RedHat 9 and their implementation of KDE not follow
standards. I'm wondering what the best distribution is with regard to
implementation of KDE.
I'm sure y'all have lots of thoughts. Also, if anyone has a link to Mosfet
Liquid that actually works with RedHat 9, please send it along.

KDE and the best distribution for it

Post by Todd Stephen » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 13:13:54

Quote:> I'm not sure this is the right place for this post, but I've been trying
> to install Mosfet Liquid on my RedHat 9 machine. This has led me to
> reading some articles about RedHat 9 and their implementation of KDE not
> follow standards. I'm wondering what the best distribution is with regard
> to implementation of KDE.
> I'm sure y'all have lots of thoughts. Also, if anyone has a link to Mosfet
> Liquid that actually works with RedHat 9, please send it along.

There are a few distros that are more KDE-centric.  SuSE is one.  If you
want a distro that has a minimum of fluff and doesn't always require you to
find a distro-specific package, try Slackware.  I have tried both that I
mentioned (also RH and Mdk) and I like Slack the best.  If you read the
Slackware newsgroup, you'd think that only computer scientists can run it,
but I have actually found it the easiest to get running and running
/properly/ out of all of them.  KDE works flawlessly on my box :)

--
Todd Stephens

for email, emulate St. Patrick in the land of Jose Gaspar

Post by Pascal Brüc » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 05:04:13

> I'm not sure this is the right place for this post, but I've been trying
> to install Mosfet Liquid on my RedHat 9 machine. This has led me to
> reading some articles about RedHat 9 and their implementation of KDE not
> follow standards. I'm wondering what the best distribution is with regard
> to implementation of KDE.
> I'm sure y'all have lots of thoughts. Also, if anyone has a link to Mosfet
> Liquid that actually works with RedHat 9, please send it along.

Maybe the most BleedingEdge KDE distro:

http://www.gentoo.org

Because:

http://cvs.gentoo.org/~danarmak/kde-cvs.html

But don't care about reading and time...

:)paxcal

Post by Paul Tros » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 04:40:23

> I'm not sure this is the right place for this post, but I've been trying to
> install Mosfet Liquid on my RedHat 9 machine. This has led me to reading
> some articles about RedHat 9 and their implementation of KDE not follow
> standards. I'm wondering what the best distribution is with regard to
> implementation of KDE.
> I'm sure y'all have lots of thoughts. Also, if anyone has a link to Mosfet
> Liquid that actually works with RedHat 9, please send it along.

KDE is great on SuSE or Gentoo. If you want to stick with Red Hat then
check out kde-redhat.sourceforge.net. It will take a few commands to get
rid of Red Hat's broken KDE and put on theirs but their version has a few
more features and they have an RPM for Mosfet's Liquid.

You will have to run the KDE from kde-redhat.sourceforge.net. The liquid
RPM they have will not run correctly on RH's broken KDE.

Paul

KDE and the best distribution for it

Post by A. Arnin » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:02:01

I'm using Mandrake 9.1 and KDE and it works just perfectly. I think MDK is
quite KDE-centric so now wonder it works without a flaw.
BTW: this combination was the only way to get my crappy soundcard working ;)

Post by Big Bi » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 09:39:31

> There are a few distros that are more KDE-centric.  SuSE is one.  If you
> want a distro that has a minimum of fluff and doesn't always require you to
> find a distro-specific package, try Slackware.  I have tried both that I
> mentioned (also RH and Mdk) and I like Slack the best.  If you read the
> Slackware newsgroup, you'd think that only computer scientists can run it,
> but I have actually found it the easiest to get running and running
> /properly/ out of all of them.  KDE works flawlessly on my box :)

This is semi-OT: can you used any font in konsole that has a name that
starts with "fixed"? I have this really annoying problem that I have
been using "Fixed [misc]" (i.e. -misc-fixed-*-*-*-) for ten years in
all my terminals in various unixes and linuxes but upgrading KDE to
the latest 3.1 in Slack broke this and now I get weird, annoying
double-spaced characters. For now I can live with Luxi-Mono (which
works just fine) but I'd really like to get my font back.

What version of Slack/KDE/(XFree? Does that make a difference?) are
you running?

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 03:56:16

> This is semi-OT: can you used any font in konsole that has a name that
> starts with "fixed"?

Your problem is not KDE but Qt which has been linked to Xft2 instead of
Xft1. If you switch back to the Qt version you find at your Slackware
9.0 CD the problem will be solved.
--
Thomas O.

1. Best book? Best distribution?

I am looking for recommendations on the best "starter" Linux book, the
best comprehensive reference, and the best distribution.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.  Also, what is the most current stable kernel?  Is
there a reason why some distributions contain both 1.2.13 and 1.3.15?

| Gary's Wargaming Page: http://mailer.fsu.edu/~grobinso |
| Yes, Mac Netscape 2.01 crashed my hard disk the        |
| first time I ran it.  Beware.                          |

2. multia / blinks of death - continued

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. How to export from csh?

5. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

6. mail server related question

7. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

8. RH 7.1 over RH 7.0

9. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

10. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

11. Best distribution CDs?

12. BEST Linux distribution for ROUTER/FIREWALL machine?

13. Which is the best Linux distribution ?