KDE 2.2: Breaks Java Applications?

Post by Darren Enn » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 06:55:18

OK, since I don't have the smarts to comment myself, here goes:

I use 'Panorama Tools' for Linux.  I use the Java application
called 'ptpicker.jar' to invoke the GUI.  Under KDE 2.1, this
has worked fine (using the IBM Java SDK).  However, now that
I have upgraded to KDE 2.2 (along with the 'non-KDE' stuff),
the 'interpolate' function no longer works and dies a horrible
death:

Optimizing Variables
Average Difference between Controlpoints
after 0 iteration(s): 62.9979 pixels
Exception occurred during event dispatching:
java.lang.StackOverflowError
        at ptutils.CCallOptimizer(Native Method)
        at ptpicker.actionPerformed(ptpicker.java)
        at java.awt.MenuItem.processActionEvent(MenuItem.java:540)
        at java.awt.MenuItem.processEvent(MenuItem.java:504)
        at
java.awt.MenuComponent.dispatchEventImpl(MenuComponent.java:278)
        at java.awt.MenuComponent.dispatchEvent(MenuComponent.java:268)
        at
java.awt.MenuComponent.dispatchEventImpl(MenuComponent.java:280)
        at java.awt.MenuComponent.dispatchEvent(MenuComponent.java:268)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEvent(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:99)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)
Killed

Anybody have any theories as to how the heck doing this KDE upgrade
has jeopardized this application?  I proved that KDE 2.1 works fine
by doing the same thing on an older/slower Linux PC running KDE 2.1
(straight from RH 7.1).

This makes me very sad!

Dare

--
Darren Enns

HTTP:  members.home.net/dmenns

KDE 2.2: Breaks Java Applications?

Post by Rex Diete » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 02:22:24

Quote:> OK, since I don't have the smarts to comment myself, here goes:

> I use 'Panorama Tools' for Linux.  I use the Java application
> called 'ptpicker.jar' to invoke the GUI.  Under KDE 2.1, this
> has worked fine (using the IBM Java SDK).  However, now that
> I have upgraded to KDE 2.2 (along with the 'non-KDE' stuff),
> the 'interpolate' function no longer works and dies a horrible
> death:

Could you verify if this same problem exists using other JDK's?  Does Sun's
or Blackdown's JDK not function either?

In my experience here, we've had not much luck getting IBM's java to
function properly with many of our java applications whereas the Blackdown
JDK works (better).  Your mileage may vary.

--
Rex Dieter
Computer System Administrator

KDE 2.2: Breaks Java Applications?

Post by Darren Enn » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 04:28:02

Well, the IBM one is the one that broke, and the Sun one dies an
even more messy death, but on your suggestion I downloaded and
tried the Blackdown version, and it appears to work fine! :)

Thanks for the suggestion -- though I still wonder why the KDE 2.2
upgrade jeopardized my IBM Java environment...?

I am now in the process of trying to get Netscape 4.78 to use
this Blackdown version of JAVA -- in the hopes that it will
not 'lock up' as the existing one did (whatever the default was
for Redhat 7.1 and Netscape).

Dare