KUser

Post by J.B. » Sun, 13 May 2001 03:00:49

I am trying to add two users via KUser. The accounts are created, but I
can't log in to them. Any ideas?

Jonathan

KUser

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Sun, 13 May 2001 17:38:52

> I am trying to add two users via KUser. The accounts are created, but
> I can't log in to them. Any ideas?

Are you sure that you gave those two new users a login shell? I made
that mistake first time i tried KUser.

Highlight the users one by one and choose "User"|"Edit" to see, if
"Login shell" is set <Empty> then change it to the shell they prefer.
--
Thomas O.

KUser

Post by J.B. » Mon, 14 May 2001 02:52:03

I got it working, but don't know how. Bash was the default shell assigned.
I played around with the Group settings, maybe it was there.  Thanks.

Post by Gregory Davi » Sat, 19 May 2001 00:39:47

> I got it working, but don't know how. Bash was the default shell assigned.
> I played around with the Group settings, maybe it was there.  Thanks.

Most definitely.  All users shuold belong to uucp, dialout, audio, and
video as well as users.  Whenever I first create a user, Kuser never sets
the groups properly.  I would always end up editing /etc/groups by hand and
putting people in the right spots.

Greg

1. kuser etc/shadow and etc/passwd

I've added ksh93 to my RH7 system.  Everything works except for KDE
1.1-2.  I can login at the console and get ksh.  If I use gdm and select
a kde session, I can login with no problem.  When I change to kdm, any
user with ksh in /etc/passwd gets "LOGIN Failed" at the kdm login
screen.

I think my shadow password file gets mucked up by kuser (really, me).
So I've got a question:
1.  How do I add ksh as a shell visible when I use kuser.  I've tried
preferences and had no luck.  A new account is created in /etc/passwd
and works fine from the console, but kdm (or pam) spit up.

Yes, ksh is in /etc/shells with it's full, ugly path.
/user/local/arch/linux.i386/bin/ksh

Thanks,

Larry

2. When will 1.2.x finalize?

3. kuser failure

4. IP Multicast

5. compiling kuser

6. Florida Sr UNIX Admin.

7. kuser doesn`t work after setting up NISserver

8. Can't telnet to localhost, other services work fine