KDE1 ---> KDE2 on RH7

Post by Chris Reicho » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I installed a base install of RH7 with KDE1. I want to upgrade to KDE2. I
already have the rpms but when i try to install them using: rpm -ivh
kdelibs-2.2-7.i386.rpm etc. It gives me version conflict errors. Do you have
to be at the console to do this? If so, how do you mount a cdrom drive in
the console. I tried "mount /mnt/cdrom" already. It just showed the
directory. Whenever I tried to run rpm it said the file was not found. When
I ran ls in the directory it showed "ls: kdelibs-2.2-7.i386.rpm> No such
file or directory". Any help is appreciated. BTW, I'm doing this from memory
so the commands might be a little off. Thanks.

-Tukon

KDE1 ---> KDE2 on RH7

Post by MH » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> I installed a base install of RH7 with KDE1. I want to upgrade to KDE2. I
> already have the rpms but when i try to install them using: rpm -ivh
> kdelibs-2.2-7.i386.rpm etc. It gives me version conflict errors. Do you have
> to be at the console to do this? If so, how do you mount a cdrom drive in
> the console. I tried "mount /mnt/cdrom" already. It just showed the
> directory. Whenever I tried to run rpm it said the file was not found. When
> I ran ls in the directory it showed "ls: kdelibs-2.2-7.i386.rpm> No such
> file or directory". Any help is appreciated. BTW, I'm doing this from memory
> so the commands might be a little off. Thanks.

> -Tukon

You MUST remove ALL earlier version KDE RPMs. KDE2 will not install
properly if there are ANY older KDE files installed.  Actually, I think
experienced Linux users have managed to install both--BUT IT WON'T BE
WORTH THE TROUBLE.  Unless your confident you can identify and remove
all KDE-related files, the simplest thing to do is to reinstall Linux
and X without any window managers/desktops, then install KDE2.  Read all
the installation notes on the KDE website.

KDE1 ---> KDE2 on RH7

Post by steve harri » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> I installed a base install of RH7 with KDE1. I want to upgrade to KDE2. I
> already have the rpms but when i try to install them using: rpm -ivh
> kdelibs-2.2-7.i386.rpm etc. It gives me version conflict errors. Do you have
> to be at the console to do this? If so, how do you mount a cdrom drive in
> the console. I tried "mount /mnt/cdrom" already. It just showed the
> directory. Whenever I tried to run rpm it said the file was not found. When
> I ran ls in the directory it showed "ls: kdelibs-2.2-7.i386.rpm> No such
> file or directory". Any help is appreciated. BTW, I'm doing this from memory
> so the commands might be a little off. Thanks.

> -Tukon

Tukon,

I run RH7. I recently upgraded to KDE2

The only way I could get mine to work is I changed my window manager to gnome.
Then uninstall all old KDE rpms using the gnome rpm package manager.

Then install the new KDE rpms, and I think some I had to ignore some errors or
dependencies. (I think autorun popped up)

Then go to .Xclient-default and add exec startkde and comment out the current
exec gnome line.
(using switchdesk, it reported kde2 doesnt exist)

steve

KDE1 ---> KDE2 on RH7

Post by Matthias Haas » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 03:25:43

Steve... Chris...

Quote:> I run RH7. I recently upgraded to KDE2

> The only way I could get mine to work is I changed my window manager to
> gnome. Then uninstall all old KDE rpms using the gnome rpm package
> manager.

> Then install the new KDE rpms, and I think some I had to ignore some
> errors or dependencies. (I think autorun popped up)

it is much more simple...
The default RedHat 7 KDE 1.* installation can you upgrade to KDE 2.0 with
gnorpm - use "upgrade", or with the command line. There are one - un_important
dependency error for one file from gnome, this should have the same filename as
in KDE2.

You can fix this by using the 'replace files' option. KDE2 works for me
on RedHat 7 with latest Helix Gnome together. Switchdesk works clean and fine.
With the new kpackage-manager you can later delete the old - and for KDE2
useless - kthemesmanager.

regards
Matthias

KDE1 ---> KDE2 on RH7

Post by Jerry Rea » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Here's how I did it:

I downloaded all the RPM files (there are about 30 of them I believe)
into their own directory. Next I rebooted in console mode, and logged in
as root.  I changed to the directory, and ran:

rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps *

It's worked ever since, but I can't guarantee it'll work for you, though.

Jerry :)

> Steve... Chris...

>> I run RH7. I recently upgraded to KDE2

>> The only way I could get mine to work is I changed my window manager to
>> gnome. Then uninstall all old KDE rpms using the gnome rpm package
>> manager.

>> Then install the new KDE rpms, and I think some I had to ignore some
>> errors or dependencies. (I think autorun popped up)

> it is much more simple... The default RedHat 7 KDE 1.* installation can
> you upgrade to KDE 2.0 with gnorpm - use "upgrade", or with the command
> line. There are one - un_important dependency error for one file from
> gnome, this should have the same filename as in KDE2.

> You can fix this by using the 'replace files' option. KDE2 works for me
> on RedHat 7 with latest Helix Gnome together. Switchdesk works clean and
> fine. With the new kpackage-manager you can later delete the old - and
> for KDE2 useless - kthemesmanager.

> regards Matthias

1. kde2.1 install over kde1.2/rh7.0

I have found all of the rpm's i need, thanks to rpmfind.net (wish i had
known about this months ago).  Now i am getting an error installing kdebase
(after libs and support).  the error (using gnorpm) has to do with a
conflict with kdedevelop1.2 (which i thought i had removed).  sorry i do not
have exact error, pc is at home and i did not know about this list till now,
will post exact error latter if required.

what i want to do now is remove the old kde in it's entirety then install
kde2.1.  is there a procedure to this somewhere?  there may be an easier way
but i want a clean install and would like to learn more about how kde is
setup.

thanks

-keith

2. Header Compression Problem

3. Libraries Upgrade- KDE2 installation - KDE1 & KDE2 together

4. AMD vs AUTOFS

5. KDE1 -> KDE2 porting guide or filter scripts?

6. OOPS: ext3/sparc badness

7. A few KDE1.x -> KDE2.x Questions

8. High School Tech school programming course

9. KDE1.9.2 -> KDE2.0.1 upgrade problems

10. KDE1 and KDE2 in parallel

11. Install KDE2.0.1 over KDE1.1

12. KDE2.1 over KDE1.1.2

13. KDE2.1 -> KDE2.1.1 upgrade problems