Changing the default kde directory Desktop to .Desktop

Changing the default kde directory Desktop to .Desktop

Post by Ralph_Hoefl.. » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

This may seem like a simple question, but I've not been able to find it
in the documentation or elsewhere in the Internet.

I'd prefer to have the KDE desktop configuration files located under
~/.Desktop and not ~/Desktop. Any ideas how this can be done? Preferably
without recompiling. Is there maybe an environment variable to do so?

Cheers,

Ralph

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Changing the default kde directory Desktop to .Desktop

Post by Wolf Gross » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi Ralph,
close KDE, rename the dir, edit your kfmrc.
Wolf

Quote:> Hi,

> This may seem like a simple question, but I've not been able to find it
> in the documentation or elsewhere in the Internet.

> I'd prefer to have the KDE desktop configuration files located under
> ~/.Desktop and not ~/Desktop. Any ideas how this can be done? Preferably
> without recompiling. Is there maybe an environment variable to do so?

> Cheers,

> Ralph

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Changing the default kde directory Desktop to .Desktop

Post by Wolf Gross » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi Ralph,
    what I've done was

rm -rf .kde .Desktop Desktop
Then I edited /opt/kde/share/config/kfmrc and added

[Paths]
Trash=$HOME/.Desktop/Trash/
Desktop=$HOME/.Desktop/
Templates=$HOME/.Desktop/Templates/
Autostart=$HOME/.Desktop/Autostart/

When starting KDE it says that /maypath/.Desktop will be created.
*but* - when doing a ls -al I find a directory .Desktop *and* Desktop with
some applications in it.
This is new to me cause after seeing the craete .Desktop message I did not
look any further - well, dont trust any software.
Actually, I also do not know how to get rid of this Desktop dir - I also
dont like it there.
There als some more about KDE below - thoungh I think I'll continue using
Fvwm2.
KDE loads very loooong via the LAN compared to Fvwm2 or the SCO CED deaktop.

Regards, Wolf

Post by David Faur » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hi Ralph,
>     what I've done was

> rm -rf .kde .Desktop Desktop
> Then I edited /opt/kde/share/config/kfmrc and added

> [Paths]
> Trash=$HOME/.Desktop/Trash/
> Desktop=$HOME/.Desktop/
> Templates=$HOME/.Desktop/Templates/
> Autostart=$HOME/.Desktop/Autostart/

> When starting KDE it says that /maypath/.Desktop will be created.
> *but* - when doing a ls -al I find a directory .Desktop *and* Desktop
> with some applications in it.

? which ?
What's in that Desktop dir ?
I have my desktop dir moved out, and there is definitely no app
using or even creating ~/Desktop. But maybe you use some
"3rd party" kde app that was badly written and assumes ~/Desktop.
BTW, this is KDE 1.1.2, right ?

Quote:> This is new to me cause after seeing the craete .Desktop message I did not
> look any further - well, dont trust any software.

Bugfree is an inexisting concept in software ;-}

Quote:> Actually, I also do not know how to get rid of this Desktop dir - I also

--
David Faure

See http://www.kde.org/kde1-and-kde2.html for how to set up KDE 2.

Changing the default kde directory Desktop to .Desktop

Post by Wolf Gross » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> BTW, this is KDE 1.1.2, right ?

yup, maybe I should try KDE 2
Thanks, Wolf