Looking for some general tips/pointers for career in IT Security

Looking for some general tips/pointers for career in IT Security

Post by Weir » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:01:03

Hello everyone! I am a college student that is working towards a
degree in Network Security. In one of my classes I am supposed to join
a group like this and send this message. If you have any tips or
pointers to help send me in the right direction in this career path I
would appreciate any advice you have. Thanks!
WeirBT

Looking for some general tips/pointers for career in IT Security

Post by Mike » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:08:17

Quote:> Hello everyone! I am a college student that is working towards a
> degree in Network Security. In one of my classes I am supposed to join
> a group like this and send this message. If you have any tips or
> pointers to help send me in the right direction in this career path I
> would appreciate any advice you have. Thanks!

Hello WeirBT!

You've to understand that IT Security is a VERY BIG subject, almost
impossible to master as a whole. So my advice is that after getting your
degree, you've to choose some "specialization" in a specific field, or at
least a narrow range of subjects.
You can decide to become the widest possible range: the general-purpose
network security administrator, then you'll know something about most
aspects of IT security.
You can become an IT security analyst, focusing on vulnerability
discovery, DoS attacks countermeasures, etc.
You can become a Penetration Tester, mastering the tips & tricks of
gaining access into systems in a similar way that crackers do.
You can focus on Intrusion Detection, that's implementing preventive
measures against cracker/DoS/virii attacks.
An a very long etcetera.
I suggest that you visit www.sans.org and read about their GIAC
certification track, there you'll read about many different aspects of IT
Security, and if you want you can decide to get one or more of their
certifications.
I'm a penetration tester after some years of narrowing my scope more and
more, because I realize that was impossible to master all topics.
Cheers,

--
Nekromancer

"El nivel de conocimientos adquiridos es
inversamente proporcional a la temperatura del cafe"

1. Starter looking for hints, tips, pointers, etc.

Hi there,

Since some time I have been interested in embedded Linux systems,
willing to build one myself. I am experienced in electronics and in
Linux, but not in the combination of those.

Is there anyone out there that can give me hints, tips, etc. for a
starter in the embedded world? I'd like to build a small Linux system
that can act as a web server & MySQL database server, possibly based
on PC104 or a small-board system. Anyone that can advise a specific
brand, type? And maybe even an address in the Netherlands that sells
such boards?

Many, many thanks in advance,

Joost

2. Informix On-Line 5.0 & AIX 3.2.2

3. about to install; looking for GENERAL pointers

4. telnet into linux from pc hangs pc

5. New Linux site looking for security tips

6. Contributing a new mod_dir.c for Apache

7. Looking for REALLY good books about security (UNIX and in general)

8. Apache mod_auth_dbm & vitual host

9. TIPS FOR CAREER DEVELOPMENTS

10. InfoTech career market realities and tips

11. Is a career in AIX Unix a good career move?

12. Security from outside call-ins