Firewall question

Post by garfiel » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Please respond by e-mail:

We are considering implementing a connection to the Internet.  We are looking at the following,
any opinions?

1.  At the router from the Internet (going towards the Intranet) put a firewall like Sun's
SunScreen product.

2.  Put a packet filtering router in between the firewall to the Internet and intranet

3.  Have a Application Firewall like ANS protecting the intranet

Internet --> SunScreen --> Packet Filter --> ANS --> intranet

Does the same company that makes Firewall 1 create the SunScreen software?

Has anybody tried the above configuration with success?

Has anybody routed SMTP on a different port using the above scenario?

Is it a good idea to place NNTP and SMTP servers on the Internet and have the firewall verify the
address of the server as part of the security check-in?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

garfield

1. FreeBSD firewall question + a really dumb question(yes I'm new to FreeBSD)

I need to get a firewall up in our office with no NAT.  I looked at a book
called FreeBSD Unleashed.  The book seemed to explain things pretty well.
Anyone else have an opinion on this book?

Okay, I tried version 4.3, but I could not add the iptables module.  Version
4.4 seems to use IPFW and the rules use a more english like syntax than
characters $.  Am I right so far??

A lot of the optins are turned on in files.  FIREWALL = yes in rc.conf.
Here is the dumb question:

In DOS i could use edit to edit a file, what do I use in FreeBSD??

Thanks

2. ARRGGH!-please help--Dell

3. Arno Firewall question: Internal PC's can't get to IP forwarded service/webserver

4. Booting 43P-140 on serial console

5. RPC over firewall questions

6. need terminfo decompiler - printer

7. some Linux/Firewall questions????

8. EBCDIC to ASCII utility

9. Firewall question

10. Newbie firewall question

11. Gigabit redundant firewall questions (hardware and software)

12. Firewall Question

13. iptables/firewall question