root can not edit /etc/hosts or /etc/profile, can not create directory

root can not edit /etc/hosts or /etc/profile, can not create directory

Post by Valenti » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:08:35

first of all, thank you all for this great service.

I have installed and configured SSH and TCP wrappers on solaris 8
(Sparc) as per the instructions. Now as root I experience permission
issues such as can not edit /etc/profile or /etc/hosts. Not only that,
root can not create a directory except in /tmp.
I appreciate your quick response on this issue.

Post by all mail refus » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 06:15:27

>I have installed and configured SSH and TCP wrappers on solaris 8
>(Sparc) as per the instructions. Now as root I experience permission
>issues such as can not edit /etc/profile or /etc/hosts. Not only that,
>root can not create a directory except in /tmp.
>I appreciate your quick response on this issue.

What is the result of these commands ?
    id
    perl -e 'print $>, " ", $<, "\n"'
    ls -ld /etc/profile /etc/hosts /etc /etc/inetd /etc/inetd/hosts
    mount

--

1. root can not edit /etc/profile or /etc/hosts or make directory

first of all, thank you all for this great service.

I have installed and configured SSH and TCP wrappers on solaris 8
(Sparc) as per the instructions. Now as root i can not edit
/etc/profile or /etc/hosts.
Not only that, i can not create a directory except in /tmp. I
appreciate your
quick response on this issue.

2. renaming NFS servers

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. basic remove files

5. existance & location of Archive for this news group?

6. then it must be pam (not in /etc/login.defs, not in /etc/default/useradd)

7. Announce: Kermit 95 2.0 Windows-to-BSD client

8. ksh not reading /.profile or /etc/profile

9. Not reading /etc/profile or .profile

10. Looking for sample /etc/named.conf and etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts

11. 'host' command not using /etc/hosts?

12. /etc/hosts.deny & /etc/hosts.allow ??