tcp wrapper logging on Solaris 2.5

Post by Bill Lupto » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I recently configured tcp wrappers on Solaris 2.5 and the logging doesn't
seem to work.  I worked around this to some extent by placing my own logging
commands in /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny.  However, some of the most
interesting events still go unlogged (e.g. when compiled with the PARANOID
feature, packets from hosts that fail the reverse name lookup are rejected
even before consulting the access tables).  I read somewhere in the
documentation that the logging required the m4 macro processor, which is
only installed with the developer tools.

My questions are, what the heck's an m4 macro processor, and do I *really*
need one?  Could I send the log messages to another host?  ( We have a
Digital Unix 4.0B machine where the tcp wrapper logging works just fine.)

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
Bill Lupton

tcp wrapper logging on Solaris 2.5

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>I recently configured tcp wrappers on Solaris 2.5 and the logging doesn't
>seem to work.  I worked around this to some extent by placing my own logging
>commands in /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny.  However, some of the most
>interesting events still go unlogged (e.g. when compiled with the PARANOID
>feature, packets from hosts that fail the reverse name lookup are rejected
>even before consulting the access tables).  I read somewhere in the
>documentation that the logging required the m4 macro processor, which is
>only installed with the developer tools.

In Solaris 2.4+, m4 is installed as part of the core OS.

Quote:>My questions are, what the heck's an m4 macro processor, and do I *really*
>need one?  Could I send the log messages to another host?  ( We have a
>Digital Unix 4.0B machine where the tcp wrapper logging works just fine.)

Yes, you need one to preprocess syslogd.conf.

(Check /usr/ccs/bin/m4)

Have you tried "syslogd -d"?

If you want to send all message to another host, do:

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. TCP Wrapper binaries for Solaris 2.5

Does anyone have the compiled binaries for the TCP Wrapper program for Solaris
2.5.  I have a Sparc 10 running Solaris 2.5 on the outside of a firewall that
I'm going to use for various things...it will pretty  much be a sacrificial
lamb but I wanted to add some additional security to it with the TCP Wrapper
program.. I can't seem to get it too compile.  I am not sure what I am doing
wrong or how to debug the problems because I am new to Solaris and pretty new
to UNIX also...so if anyone has already compiled tcpwrapper for solaris2.5 or
know where I can get them from I would appreciate it..

thanks..

2. errors from Seagate IDE hard disk

3. Solaris 2.5 and TCP wrappers - need to block access

4. ipppd: Could not determine local IP address

5. Solaris 2.5 and TCP wrappers - need to block acces

6. Question about Soaris and suid files

7. tcp wrappers (TCP/IP daemon wrapper)

8. openbsd-mac68k Mailing List

9. TCP Wrappers: Problem logging in from local domain.

10. TCP Wrapper Logging

11. tcp-wrappers: logging failures, please help, I must be a moron

12. trouble with tcp-wrappers' logging

13. TCP Wrapper Logging