can UDP be used as ssh transport?

Post by Wayne Sh » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:35:12

I read somewhere that SSH can run over TCP port 22 or UDP port 22?

But I thought SSH is over TCP 22 only. Can UDP be used as ssh transport??

Thanks,
--Wayne

Post by Barry Margoli » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 00:27:43

>I read somewhere that SSH can run over TCP port 22 or UDP port 22?

>But I thought SSH is over TCP 22 only. Can UDP be used as ssh transport??

No, SSH requires a byte stream transport.

What you probably saw was a reserved port listing.  In many cases, IANA has
reserved both UDP and TCP ports for the same service, just for
consistency.  In some cases it's meaningful to run a service over either
UDP or TCP, but in most cases it doesn't make sense.

--

Level(3), Woburn, MA

1. PPP VPN Using UDP as transport problem

I have the following setup.
2 FreeBSD 3.3 Servers. Server A is the PPP listening Server. Server B is the
PPP Client
Using TCP as the transport all works OK. PPP connection work just fine. Once
I change the Client to use UDP PPP can't complete the connection.

In inetd.conf I have the following on server A

ppp-in stream udp nowait root /usr/sbin/ppp ppp -direct ppp-in

/etc/services
ppp-in    6669/udp

Server A   ppp.conf
ppp-in:
 set timeout 0
 set ifaddr 10.0.4.1 10.0.4.2
 enable CHAP
 enable sroutes
 enable proxyall

ppp.secret
ppp-in:
router1    password

On server B

ppp.conf

router1:
 set timeout 0
 set escape 0xff
 set device <ip.address>:6669/udp
 set dial
 set ifaddr 10.0.4.2 10.0.4.1
 set log Phase Chat Connect hdlc LCP IPCP CCP tun
 set Authname router1
 set Authkey password

All fireway rules are set to allow everything for now.

subsitute all TCP with UDP and all stops. I can determine from the PPP log
that a connection is denied but I belive this is due to UDP port 6669 is not
listening on the reciever server. I can get the same error message using TCP
but have the client use the wrong TCP port number.

Any ideas ??????

2. Beige Sound Issues -- Kernel arguments?

3. How to receive UDP and ICMP packet using one UDP socket, (Path MTUD)

4. Question about /tmp, tmpfs, and /etc/vfstab

5. Syslog via SSH (or UDP Wrapping?)

6. Virtual Host Problem

7. can ssh-agent work between ssh-2.3 and ssh-3.5

8. How to get man to access my own man pages? (ksh)

9. ONC RPC using other transport

10. Transporting files using cpio

11. HELP: Using ZIP drive to transport files between Solaris and Linux

12. ONC RPC using other transport