Firewalls

Post by Christopher R Dunl » Fri, 01 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I work at a community college, and a couple months ago a situation arose
that scared the administration into seeking firewall protection.  One of
our users got caught with some pictures he shouldn't have had. The
boss and the unix administrator here are looking at a $38000 system that
I find a little extreme!  Their main concern is protecting us from
liability.  Since no system can totally block out unwanted web sites, I
see this firewall as a waste of funds.  We have a policy statement that
must be read by all users, and so far this has proven enough protection
for us from the actions of our users.  Being a lowly Novell
administrator, the unix person doesn't seem to see my side of this.

Am I missing some greater picture here?  Will a firewall offer us that
great of protection that it will be worth the money?  Or is there some
type of secure router or something with similar capabilities to the
Firewall-1 system at a lower price?

  Thanks for your time, and any respones would be appreciated!

  Chris Dunlap

--

Firewalls

Post by vhal.. » Sun, 03 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I work at a community college, and a couple months ago a situation arose
>that scared the administration into seeking firewall protection.  One of
>our users got caught with some pictures he shouldn't have had. The
>boss and the unix administrator here are looking at a $38000 system that
>I find a little extreme!  Their main concern is protecting us from
>liability.  Since no system can totally block out unwanted web sites, I
>see this firewall as a waste of funds.  We have a policy statement that

uhh.. I hope I misunderstood the problem...

There is no firewall that can recognise dirty pictures.

The only way is to unplug the internet connection, the
pictures could come from email, ftp, news...

You must also collect all dirty pictures from the
students and destroy all scanners.

And after that you must check every media that comes to
the college, or destroy every box that can read diskettes,
tapes, cdrom...

VesA

Firewalls

Post by ph! » Wed, 06 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>>I work at a community college, and a couple months ago a situation arose
>>that scared the administration into seeking firewall protection.  One of
>>our users got caught with some pictures he shouldn't have had. The
>>boss and the unix administrator here are looking at a $38000 system that
>>I find a little extreme!  Their main concern is protecting us from
>>liability.  Since no system can totally block out unwanted web sites, I
>>see this firewall as a waste of funds.  We have a policy statement that

>uhh.. I hope I misunderstood the problem...

>There is no firewall that can recognise dirty pictures.

>The only way is to unplug the internet connection, the
>pictures could come from email, ftp, news...

>You must also collect all dirty pictures from the
>students and destroy all scanners.

>And after that you must check every media that comes to
>the college, or destroy every box that can read diskettes,
>tapes, cdrom...

>VesA

 ya.. if it was only that simple..

Firewalls

Post by Katherine M. Hosc » Thu, 07 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>         Ok - let me get this right -- you have a policy, and it
> was violated by one of your users. So your management is going
> to spend a lot of $$ to "implement" the policy, rather than just
> enforcing it? Was the user who had the stuff one of the users who
> read the policy statement? Why not just deal with the problem
> administratively?

>         you can't solve social problems with software!!!

Three cheers!
Hurrah!

Well put.

--

Mobil Exploration & Producing, U.S.         (504)-566-5483 (mobil)
1250 Poydras St.                                (504)-566-5712 (fax)

1. An application gateway firewall based on Linux - ITShield firewall

ITShield Networks Inc. (http://www.itshield.com) released ITShield firewall,
a transparent application gateway firewall based on Linux. It can handle
more than 5000 TCP sessions, unlimited UDP sessions, and unlimited IP
sessions at application-level in parallel. It supports IPSEC VPN, PPTP VPN,
remote administration, and user authentication. It is very easy to install
and configure.

It supports Sun 64-bit machines as well as Intel compatible machines.

2. I made it!!

3. LINUX/shorewall firewall to firewall VPN question

4. uod380b , pci and lotus

5. Do I need a software firewall in addition to a NAT router/firewall?

6. questions about Sun's Solaris C++ compiler

7. Bridging Firewall - got bridging working, How do I firewall?

8. Printer slow after upgrade

9. Help on firewall ruleset for routing X (Exceed) thru the Linux firewall

10. Nokia IP400 Firewall and Checkpoint (The Fastest Checkpoint Firewall Box)

11. firewalls - words on Firewall 1.2.1?

12. can red hat 5.2 ie kernel 2.036 be configured as a firewall and firewall support ICQ

13. Checkpoint Firewall-1 VPN and Firewall