tracing the startup procedure

Post by Michael Walcza » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

How do I trace the startup files that get used in a normal multiuser
setup? I'm using FreeBSD.

tracing the startup procedure

Post by Michael Pao » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>How do I trace the startup files that get used in a normal multiuser
>setup? I'm using FreeBSD.

I'm not sure if FreeBSD is significantly different, but most (if not
all) Unix flavors will - at least by default, have init as the first
process fired off by the kernel (with the possible exception of some
additional "housekeeping" type processes).  Anyway, init usually reads
the inittab file, typically in /etc/inittab.  Look at your relevant man
pages for inittab (and/or init).  Once you know the syntax of the
inittab file, you can follow how init directly or indirectly causes
everything else to be launched, ... just a matter of following the
trail.
[Note Followup-To: shifted to comp.unix.admin]