unix virus protection for Dos

Post by Derek & Kerr » Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a way of checking
for MS Dos style viruses as the files / mail go through a unix server?

Thanks Derek.

Post by Flemming S. Johans » Thu, 02 May 1996 04:00:00

: Hi I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a way of checking
: for MS Dos style viruses as the files / mail go through a unix server?
:
: Thanks Derek.

Which way is best depends on which unix you have. If you have an SCO
unix, buy Dr. Solomon's virus checker for that system. If you have Sun
Solaris 2, SunOS 4 or Linux, then get a beta version of the McAfee
virus checker for unix from your local McAfee dealer. There used to be
a free download on McAfee's WWW site, but it has been removed -
hopefully this means that they are getting ready to release the
product.

There is also supposed to be a product called VFind, but i dont know
where it might be available.

        I hope this helps.
        Flemming S. Johansen

1. DOS Merge and protection from Viruses

Hi,

We are going to be replacing our RT's running AIX with
PS/2's running AIX.  We are also going to be running
DOS Merge on the PS/2's.  I am not really up on the
currect DOS viruses out there so here are my questions:

1. Let's say I setup my Model 70's with a bootable DOS parition
   and an AIX partition.  I boot DOS, and a virus is introduced
   into the DOS system.  Are there any viruses out now that
   mess with the partition tables created by FDISK, and if
   so, could it kill my AIX partition? (I am betting yes).

2. If instead I just allow the users to use DOSmerge, would
   it prevent to virus from doing this kind of damage?

3. Would it be better not to have any phyical DOS partitions
   and just setup virtual partitions for DOSmerge to use?

I want to make sure that AIX will survive if a DOS virus
is put on the systems.  I hate the thought of reloading
AIX from floppies.

Engineering Computer Operations phone: (919) 737-2458
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC

2. Dead monitor when entering X

3. Virus protection against WINDOWS Viruses, server releated.

4. Suse 7.0 fpr G3/533 ?

5. SUMMARY - Unix Virus and Worm Protection

6. Can't seem to compile my little C application into a library?

7. unix virus protection

8. Will DTrace be GPL'd too?

9. DOS virus detection on UNIX

10. Unix/Dos Partition Virus Problem

11. unix scanner for dos viruses

12. dos and unix virus question

13. EXCHANGING OPTICAL DISKS : DOS to UNIX / UNIX to DOS