Missing password/login help with HP-UX 8.X

Missing password/login help with HP-UX 8.X

Post by Stanley Perkin » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I just bought a surplus HP7958 disk drive for use on my HP9000/380. When
I hooked it up, I found that there was a version of HP-UX on it (I
*think* it's 8.0, based on some messages I saw on the boot screen, but
I'm not entirely sure). The 380 will boot the system, but (of course)
there are several error messages, mostly related to devices that the OS
is looking for that are not present. I also see what may be references
to a "400 series" in some of the diagnostics screens (Apollo?).

I already have a *very* old version of HP-UX, but it is too old to
support the 380. I would like to be able to use my "new" HP-UX, if
possible, but I am stuck at the login/password stage and can get no
further.

I have a passing familiarity with Unix and with my *early* HP-UX, but
not with HP-UX in its later incantations. Is there a way to make this
system useable? Will I ever be able to get root access?

Thanks in advance,
Stan

1. Difference between HP-UX 10.10 and HP-UX 10.20

Hello,

what are the differences between HP-UX 10.10 and HP-UX 10.20?

I ask because one of our customers want to evalute our software
(which was developed on 10.10) on HP-UX 10.20. Is there full
backward compatibility?

Thanks for your helps

        Rainer

Rainer Freis    -       Systemadministrator

santix software GmbH
Max-Planck-Str. 7
D-85716 Unterschleissheim

Phone: (+49) 89 321506-24
Fax  : (+49) 89 321506-99

You don't know what real time-critical software is until
you're responsible for the paychecks of a battalion of
heavily armed Marines.

        (somebody in alt.sysadmin.recovery)

2. To anybody who has installed a tape drive.

3. Password Aging on HP-UX

4. HiSax Module/Configuration in S.u.S.e 5.1

5. cracking password required by an application run under HP-UX

6. I want to help

7. HP-UX 10.0 password file question

8. B1 UNIX boxes, O/S, Network Vendors

9. Q - passwords via yp on a HP-UX

10. Security levels for passwords on HP-UX 9.0

11. Why shadow passwords on HP-UX

12. Password echoing on HP-UX 9.04

13. Shadow passwords and passwd+ for hp-ux