cd and restricted shells

Post by Karl Slot » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Is there a way to allow users to 'cd' within their home directory when
using a restricted shell such as rsh or rksh?

Thanks.

Karl Sloth
Web Administrator
Silicon Reef, Inc.

cd and restricted shells

Post by Bill Marc » Mon, 29 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Is there a way to allow users to 'cd' within their home directory when
>using a restricted shell such as rsh or rksh?

Instead of rsh or rksh, use chroot.

--

"Even the samurais have teddy bears, and even the teddy bears get drunk"
(don't ask me what it means, it came from the 'fortune' program).

cd and restricted shells

Post by Mark Delan » Mon, 29 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>>Is there a way to allow users to 'cd' within their home directory when
>>using a restricted shell such as rsh or rksh?

>Instead of rsh or rksh, use chroot.

Yeah, one heck of a lot of fun on some platforms. Eg Solaris is a real
beast for creating a useful user chroot environment. You really need
to keep things like /devices and /etc all visible as cloning is hard
(one cute gotcha is the syslog flock on /etc/syslog.pid).

Regards.

1. restricted shell/restricting login

A while ago I posted a question about how to restrict logins to our
ultrix systems.  Someone sent me a C or shell script which I'm
embarassed to say I've misplaced.  I think is was called "syslogin".
Please re-send it to me, whoever you are (were).

Here's the problem I wish to solve:

What I want to do is split the modem pool into 2 numbers - one for
students and one for faculty/staff.

I want to the login procedure to check which terminal server a connection
is coming from.  The procedure should then check the account and see if that
account is entitled to connect from that terminal server...if so,
then continue normally, if not then print a message like "Please dial
the number xxx-xxxx".

We have DEC terminal servers (I don't wish to use lat groups) and
Ultrix 4.2a.

I'm certain I'm not re-inventing the wheel here.  Any comments, suggestions
and pointers are most welcome.

Thanks in advance...
-

Trent University Computing & Telecommunications  tel: (705)748-1540
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada, K9J 7B8           fax: (705)748-1246

2. Newbie general info question.....

3. restricted shell or restricted access

4. Recompiled kernel refuses to recognize mouse

5. restricted shell - not so restrict

6. scripts won't run on rh6

7. using cd in restricted shell

8. VPN-PPP-SSH

9. cd and restricted shells

10. cd and restricted shell

11. restricted shell (no cd out of home directory)

12. rksh shell, how do i stop .profile from loading in restricted shell

13. Restricted Shell Script for Free Shell