What the heck is VPJP?

Post by morle.. » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

We have been asked to open up port 1345 on our firewall.  The only thing
that I've been able to find about that port is that it is assigned by
IANA to VPJP.  Unfortunately, extensive web searches don't turn up
references to VPJP except on the IANA port number lists.  Can anyone
enlighten me as to what this service is and if there are any known
security problems with it?

TIA,
Ron

--
Ron Morley          |My opinions are mine...no one else wants them
UNIX Sys. Admin.    |"This is the end" - The Doors

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

What the heck is VPJP?

Post by pe.. » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> We have been asked to open up port 1345 on our firewall.  The only thing
> that I've been able to find about that port is that it is assigned by
> IANA to VPJP.  Unfortunately, extensive web searches don't turn up
> references to VPJP except on the IANA port number lists.  Can anyone
> enlighten me as to what this service is and if there are any known
> security problems with it?

If i was in security responsible i should ask for what they will
do with that port (spec for applications, etc) before accepting this.

If someone else was in charge i would just open it. (maybe peek around
and see what it looks like). Maybe this is your case ?

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)

What the heck is VPJP?

Post by Jason Cliffor » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> We have been asked to open up port 1345 on our firewall.  The only thing
> that I've been able to find about that port is that it is assigned by
> IANA to VPJP.  Unfortunately, extensive web searches don't turn up
> references to VPJP except on the IANA port number lists.  Can anyone
> enlighten me as to what this service is and if there are any known
> security problems with it?

Surely the question you should be asking is not what IANA expect people to
put through port 1345 but rather what the person who is asking you to open
a hole in your firewall wants it for, specifically.

Most people take the view that any port over 1024 can be used for anything
they like and largely that's the way it works out.

You need to be certain of the actual data that will be traversing your
firewall in order to verify that you are not opening up a huge security
hole through your systems.

Jason Clifford

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. wmp54g on linux works with ndiswrapper

3. binopt / studio11 / sol10_sparc

5. Problem with date in Linux 1.1.51

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

7. Q: How can I get left/right button menus in KWM-beta ?

11. I am si**y am I?

12. where the double-heck is the source for "in.rlogind" ???