Sendmail Crack? New POP3 account appeared in /var/spool/mail

Sendmail Crack? New POP3 account appeared in /var/spool/mail

Post by Nick » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

A new POP3 account has mysteriously appeared in /var/spool/mail.

I didn't set this up myself, and it appears to catch all email send to

This alias is defintiely *not* set-up in /etc/mail/virtusertable.

"user-name" is a valid user name in /etc/passwd. However the password is
not
particularly strong and may have been gleaned.

Question is, has someone had root access? Or has someone obtained access
as "user-name". And if they have obtained access as either, how have they
managed to set this alias up without an entry in virtusertable?

Any help much appreciated.

Post by Nick Andr » Sun, 21 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>A new POP3 account has mysteriously appeared in /var/spool/mail.
>I didn't set this up myself, and it appears to catch all email send to

Err, you didn't check to find that domain.com mail maps to 127.0.0.1

Nick.
--
Zeta Internet                     SP4   Fax: +61-2-9233-6545 Voice: 9231-9400
G.P.O. Box 3400, Sydney NSW 1043        http://www.zeta.org.au/