Career move?

Post by an127.. » Fri, 16 Dec 1994 09:03:08

I am interested in getting into the computer security field and don't know
exactly how to go about it.

A little background about me first:

I am currently working for the government as an electronics technician (what I
went to school for - tech school) and have been here for 4 years now.  I do
have a clearance.  While doing some electronics work, I have also been able to
learn quite a bit about Unix and the Internet.  I have found that this
facinates me beyond belief, especially the aspect of network and computer
security.  Unfortunantly, in my present position I do not have the time to
persue this facination any further than just a general understanding of
things.  I have been working with computers since I was in th 6th grade and
have always had a passion for them.  I have found that I can pick up new
things very quickly relating to computers.  Alas, I have no college degree
that says so, although many of my co-workers seek me out for help.

I've decided that I would really like to make a career change so that I can
take my general knowledge and expand and focus it.

However I'm not sure where to start looking.  Do I stand any chance of getting
into this type of career without that pretty piece of paper, or am I doomed to
remain where I am for the next several years while I try to complete a
degree?  Money is not a very important issue to me, I would much rather be
happy in a job that get a big paycheck.  If I try to move within the
government, what would be the best way to go about switching careers?  Are
there companies out there who would be willing to consider me for a position
based on my work experience and my knowledge rather than a degree?  Usually
there is a learning curve for all new jobs, do employers take this into
account?  Not only would I be willing to learn as I go along, I would even
enjoy working on comming up to speed in my own free time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Career move?

Post by Phil How » Sat, 17 Dec 1994 17:22:36

Quote:

>I am interested in getting into the computer security field and don't know
>exactly how to go about it.

First thing is to let people know who you are. They are not going to talk to
anonymous people.

---
Phil Howle (Security/System Administrator)
BP Exploration, Stockley Park, Uxbridge, Middx, UB11 1BP, UK
Tel: +44 (181) 750 0094  Fax: +44 (181) 750 0345
This is who's view?

1. Is a career in AIX Unix a good career move?

Scott,

A few things to consider:

1.  What kind of salary are they offering?  If it is the same as you present
salary (and I hope
     that it isn't) then:

2.  Where do you want to be in say 10 years?

3.  Define on-call.  If you don't have to wear a pager or carry a cell phone
then you're not on call.

4.  What is your promotion path?

5.  What kind of application will run on the AIX system.  Who is responsible
for the software &
      database?

6.  Are you changing supervisors?  Do you "like" the new supervisor?  Sometimes
it is better
      not to make a move if you know that the new supervisor will be difficult
to work with.

7.  How old are you and how long have you been in your present position?  Some
younger
     people have a hard time working in an autonomous environment.

8.  The training that they want you to take is great.  This is an excellent
opportunity to develop
      new, and very marketable skills.  But, you need to consider that you will
have to travel quite
      a bit to take the necessary classes.  Can you do that?

9.  I'd ask to sit with the decision makers and look over all the paperwork
related to the purchase/
      lease agreement.  Find out where this system fits in to the total IS
scheme and how dedicated
      they are to keeping up with the technology.

If all of this seems to point in a positive direction, then I would say that
this is a good move for you.
Welcome to the world of AIX/UNIX Administration.

Cheers,

Bob Harlan
Senior Technical Support Analyst
Goodyear Tire and Rubber

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. ssh...?

3. Newcommer questions: Printer and Mouse

4. VMS as a career move ( was Re: HP admits it will kill VMS if merger suceeds)

5. How to install two linux OSes on the same PC

6. Any conversion/training courses in US to move into an IT-related career ??

7. bogo-howto: ATA-100 drives on the Asus A7A266

8. Windows 2000 NOT moving into the household moving business

9. Secret Basketball Moves (New Moves 11)

10. '.forward' moves mail !!!; anything that copies and not MOVE?

11. ATI GUPro bus mouse move up, cursor moves down (in X)