Press Release: New Security Solution

Post by Elliot Turne » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

For Immediate Release

MimeStar, Inc. Announces Release of its Revolutionary new Network
Security
Solution

BLACKSBURG, VA.  March 26, 1997 - MimeStar, Inc. today announced the
first
shipments of its SecureNet PRO v2.0, a revolutionary new network
security
solution.  "SecureNet PRO v2.0 will completely change the face of
network
security as we know it," said Elliot Turner, CEO of MimeStar, Inc.
"SecureNet PRO combines a multitude of advanced security technologies in
one easy-to-use package."

SecureNet PRO v2.0's advanced intrusion detection and response
capabilities
allow for the protection of entire networks from one centralized
location.
It automatically monitors in real-time all activity taking place on the
network, protecting against computer hackers, software pirates, and
electronic vandals.

Neither firewalls nor security scanners offer comprehensive protection
against computer intrusions because new security vulnerabilities are
constantly being discovered.  Using MimeStar, Inc.'s proprietary
EradiScan
technology SecureNet PRO is able to detect and respond to network
attacks
that have yet to be discovered by the security community.  "EradiScan is
truly exciting leap in the field of network security," Turner said.  "It
gives networks protected by SecureNet PRO a constant edge over computer
hackers."

For more information on SecureNet PRO v2.0 please visit the MimeStar,
Inc.
web site at http://www.MimeStar.com/

MimeStar, Inc. is a software company based in Blacksburg, VA.  The
company
specializes in computing security and provides integrated network
security
solutions to customers worldwide.

Contact:
Elliot Turner
(540)953-3006

MimeStar, Inc.

Post by Patrick Scha » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Neither firewalls nor security scanners offer comprehensive protection
>against computer intrusions because new security vulnerabilities are
>constantly being discovered.  Using MimeStar, Inc.'s proprietary
>EradiScan
>technology SecureNet PRO is able to detect and respond to network
>attacks
>that have yet to be discovered by the security community.  "EradiScan is
>truly exciting leap in the field of network security," Turner said.  "It
>gives networks protected by SecureNet PRO a constant edge over computer
>hackers."

Can you give a technical overview of how EradiScan is able to spot
all kinds of as-yet-unknown network attacks? I cannot find anything
about that on your Website, or in your announcement.

regards
  Patrick

Press Release: New Security Solution

Post by Brad.Powe » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

So?

A nice user friendly TCP session Hijacker just what all the wannabe crackers
need ;^}

I'm not knocking this tool. I don't know enough about it one way or another
it just seems ironic that `cracker tools` of yesterday become "security tools"
of today.

I guess I should productize my next generation tools now ;^}

Sr. Network Security Consultant
Sun Microsystems Inc.
               The views expressed are those of the author and may
                  not reflect the views of Sun Microsystems Inc.

:For Immediate Release
:
[...]
:a

Post by Patrick Scha » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>    SecureNet PRO V2.0 is far from a mere TCP session hijacker.  Session
>hijacking is only one of SecureNet PRO's many features, such as
>connection firewalling, connection monitoring/logging, automated
>intrusion detection/response, remote network administration, etc.  If
>you look at the MimeStar, Inc. web site you will see a more detailed
>listing of SecureNet PRO's features.

Again, is there more specific technical documentation about _how_ it
does all those marvellous things, especially 'automated intrusion detection'
that even detects intrusion methods nobody knows as-yet?

I wouldn't run a security type piece of software on a production network
when I don't specifically know how it works. Please give me a reason
to trust you.

Quote:>is far from true.  SecureNet PRO V2.0 implements 3 distinct forms of
>copy protection to ensure that it will only run on the network that it
>was purchased to run on, and that only one copy of the program may be
>run on the network at a time.

That's another point I'd like to have technically clarified. We are an
ISP with a pretty dynamic network setup. IP subnets are on this wire
one day, and on another one the next day. I would like to have a security
product to continue working when I change the network.

regards
  Patrick

Press Release: New Security Solution

Post by Nick Maclar » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>> A nice user friendly TCP session Hijacker just what all the wannabe
>> crackers need ;^}

>    SecureNet PRO V2.0 is far from a mere TCP session hijacker.  Session
>hijacking is only one of SecureNet PRO's many features, such as ...

It is, indeed, ironic.  But the same thing applies to the tools used by
locksmiths, and there are good theoretical grounds for believing that
every useful security tool can be used by malefactors and vice versa.

Nick Maclaren,
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory,
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.

Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679

Press Release: New Security Solution

Post by Thomas H. Ptac » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>solution.  "SecureNet PRO v2.0 will completely change the face of
>network
>security as we know it," said Elliot Turner, CEO of MimeStar, Inc.

I'm sure.

Quote:>constantly being discovered.  Using MimeStar, Inc.'s proprietary
>EradiScan
>technology SecureNet PRO is able to detect and respond to network
>attacks
>that have yet to be discovered by the security community.  "EradiScan is

I doubt this. Why don't you give us some idea of how you claim this works?

--
----------------

----------------
exit(main(kfp->kargc, argv, environ));

Post by Elliot Turne » Sun, 30 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> >constantly being discovered.  Using MimeStar, Inc.'s proprietary
> >EradiScan
> >technology SecureNet PRO is able to detect and respond to network
> >attacks
> >that have yet to be discovered by the security community.  "EradiScan

> I doubt this. Why don't you give us some idea of how you claim this works?

SecureNet PRO V2.0's EradiScan technology attempts to identify network
attacks that have yet to be discovered by using a combination of
keyword-scanning and heuristics technology.  It takes advantage of
certain similarities which are present in a large number of network
attacks.  Packet analysis along with the EradiScan rule-set detect the
exploitation of these attacks.  Full technical details will
_not_ be provided to the general public as this is a proprietary
technology of MimeStar, Inc.  Please understand that EradiScan is not
100% successful in detecting _all_ unknown network attacks; no
heuristics-based technology can be.  For this reason, we supply free
attack signature updates for any network vulnerabilities that EradiScan
fails to detect.  We also provide periodic EradiScan rule-set updates to
our customers free of charge.  The result is a much more comprehensive
security solution, protecting against both known and unknown network
attacks.
Sincerely,

Elliot Turner

MimeStar, Inc.

> --
> ----------------

> ----------------
> exit(main(kfp->kargc, argv, environ));

Press Release: New Security Solution

Post by Thomas H. Ptac » Sun, 30 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>keyword-scanning and heuristics technology.  It takes advantage of
>certain similarities which are present in a large number of network
>attacks.  Packet analysis along with the EradiScan rule-set detect the

Oh, I see. Similarities like, say, IP headers or something. I get it now.

Quote:>exploitation of these attacks.  Full technical details will
>_not_ be provided to the general public as this is a proprietary
>technology of MimeStar, Inc.  Please understand that EradiScan is not

In other words, it'd be embarassing to admit that you made up a silly name
like "EradiScan" (suggestion: fire your marketing people) for code that
essentially looks for "/bin/sh" in things like DNS packets.

Quote:>100% successful in detecting _all_ unknown network attacks; no

Well, at least you're nice enough to admit that you're not perfect.

--
----------------

----------------
exit(main(kfp->kargc, argv, environ));

Press Release: New Security Solution

Post by Thomas H. Ptac » Sun, 30 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>We at MimeStar, Inc. recognize the fact that technologies such as TCP
>session hijacking have the potential to be used maliciously.  For this
>reason, we have implemented 2 different forms of copy protection to

Wow. I take it that one of the old copy protection schemes didn't work?

A direct quote:

    As far as classifying SecureNet PRO V2.0 as a "cracker tool", this

Post by Elliot Turne » Mon, 31 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> >> A nice user friendly TCP session Hijacker just what all the wannabe
> >> crackers need ;^}

> >    SecureNet PRO V2.0 is far from a mere TCP session hijacker.  Session
> >hijacking is only one of SecureNet PRO's many features, such as ...

> It is, indeed, ironic.  But the same thing applies to the tools used by
> locksmiths, and there are good theoretical grounds for believing that
> every useful security tool can be used by malefactors and vice versa.

We at MimeStar, Inc. recognize the fact that technologies such as TCP
session hijacking have the potential to be used maliciously.  For this
reason, we have implemented 2 different forms of copy protection to
ensure that SecureNet PRO V2.0 will only run on the network that it was
purchased to run on.  This ensures that someone cannot purchase
SecureNet PRO V2.0 to break into other organizations computer networks.
Also, a random challenge/response based network broadcast copy
protection mechanism in this software ensures that only one copy of
SecureNet PRO V2.0 may be run on the network at a time.
Sincerely,

Elliot Turner

http://www.MimeStar.com/
MimeStar, Inc.

Post by Elliot Turne » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> >We at MimeStar, Inc. recognize the fact that technologies such as TCP
> >session hijacking have the potential to be used maliciously.  For this
> >reason, we have implemented 2 different forms of copy protection to

> Wow. I take it that one of the old copy protection schemes didn't work?

FULL QUOTE:
For this reason, we have implemented 2 different forms of copy
protection to
ensure that SecureNet PRO V2.0 will only run on the network that it was
purchased to run on.  This ensures that someone cannot purchase
SecureNet PRO V2.0 to break into other organizations computer networks.
Also, a random challenge/response based network broadcast copy
protection mechanism in this software ensures that only one copy of
SecureNet PRO V2.0 may be run on the network at a time.
---
If you had bothered to fully read the above message you would have seen
that SecureNet PRO V2.0 does indeed have 3 different forms of copy
protection.  It says "we have implemented 2 different forms of copy
protection to ensure that SecureNet PRO V2.0 will only run on the
network that it was purchased to run on."  And then a reference to the
third copy protection mechanism is made at the close of the paragraph.
It says: "a random challenge/response based network broadcast copy
protection mechanism in this software ensures that only one copy of
SecureNet PRO V2.0 may be run on the network at a time."  Please fully
read my responses before making inaccurate accusations, thus wasting my
time and the entire newsgroups time as well.
Sincerely,

Elliot Turner

MimeStar, Inc.
http://www.MimeStar.com/

> A direct quote:

>     As far as classifying SecureNet PRO V2.0 as a "cracker tool", this
> is far from true.  SecureNet PRO V2.0 implements 3 distinct forms of
> copy protection to ensure that it will only run on the network that it

> --
> ----------------

> ----------------
> exit(main(kfp->kargc, argv, environ));

Press Release: New Security Solution

Post by Thomas H. Ptac » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>SecureNet PRO V2.0 may be run on the network at a time."  Please fully
>read my responses before making inaccurate accusations, thus wasting my
>time and the entire newsgroups time as well.

I think you're doing a terrific job of wasting out time without my help.

--
----------------

----------------
exit(main(kfp->kargc, argv, environ));

1. Press Release: IP2Location Released Free Geolocation Solution to Pinpoint Internet Visitors by IPv6 Address

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

IP2Location Released Free Geolocation Solution to Pinpoint Internet
Visitors by IPv6 Address

February 24, 2006 - IP2Location has announced the availability of
IP2Location IPV6-COUNTRY Free Edition, that enables application
developers to geolocate country of the Internet visitors by IP Address
in IPv6 network. The IPv6 IPV6-COUNTRY database subscription is
available for free download.

IP2Location IPV6-COUNTRY Free Edition is the first product to support
the next generation Internet, IPv6. The database can be used to lookup
country by IP address. It is currently available in binary format and
required IP2Location Perl API to implement database queries. It
supports all valid IPv6 address range from
FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF in 200+ countries worldwide.
Other information such as ISP and city will be available soon.

All visitors can register and download the latest IP2Location database
and API from the below URL for free.

http://www.ip2location.com/IPV6-COUNTRY.HTM

We encourage developers to download and to include the IP2Location
IPV6-COUNTRY Free Edition in an open-source projects. For commercial
redistribution rights for IP2Location IPV6-COUNTRY Free Edition, please

Please visit http://www.ip2location.com for more information.
IP2Location also provides geolocation service in the existing IPv4
network.

About IP2Location.com
Founded in 2001, IP2Location.com provides e-Commerce intelligence
services to online businesses. IP2Location.com's products provide the
geographic location of Web site visitors in real-time, enabling
businesses to display localized content, bandwidth balancing, improve
click-throughs and sales, prevent fraud, conduct site analysis and
foster regulatory compliance. With over 1000 industry leading
customers, IP2Location.com has been recognized as the geolocation
market leader. IP2Location.com's main headquarters is located in
Penang, Malaysia, with regional sales office located in Florida, United
States.

The company can be reached by fax at +1-941-240-2105, by email at

IP2Location is a registered trademark of Hexasoft Development Sdn.
Bhd.. All products and company names herein may be trademarks of their
respective owners. Copyright ? 2006, Hexasoft Development Sdn. Bhd.

2. command to check the real memory and swap space?

3. [press@apache.org: PRESS RELEASE: ASF Reaches Agreement with Sun to Allow Open Source Java Implementations]

4. eth0 is set to "off" in modprobe --

5. [press@apache.org: PRESS RELEASE: ASF Reaches Agreement with

6. Proxy server problem

7. PRESS RELEASE - Internet Security Issue

8. File redirection implementation

9. Press Release: Sidewinder Security Strikes Back

10. PRESS RELEASE - Internet Security Issue

11. Announce - Wrox Press releases "Professional Web Services Security" book

12. Press Release: New Linux Specific Auction Site

13. PRESS RELEASE: Objective Development releases Sharity -- Unix and Windows can be Friends!