Has anyone looked at the McAfee virus scanner for unix?

Has anyone looked at the McAfee virus scanner for unix?

Post by Braun Brel » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I've been informed about the fact that McAfee has announced
a virus scanner for Unix boxes (specifically Solaris 2.x)
Has anyone else seen or used this product?  Does anyone
have any recommendations as to its efficacy?

Thank you,

Braun Brelin

Marketing blurb follows:  Note that I'm in no way connected with
McAfee

SERVERS; VIRUSSCAN FOR SOLARIS PREVENTS UNIX SERVERS FROM PROVIDING
Selected by your NewsHound profile entitled "SECURITY". The selectivity score
was 72 out of 100.

McAfee Announces First Virus Protection Solution for Sun Solaris Servers;
VirusScan for Solaris Prevents Unix Servers from Providing
McAfee Announces First Virus Protection Solution for Sun Solaris Servers;
VirusScan for Solaris Prevents Unix Servers from Providing Safe Haven to
Computer Viruses

SANTA CLARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 22, 1996--McAfee (Nasdaq: MCAF), the
world's leading vendor of anti-virus software, today announced VirusScan for
Solaris, the first anti-virus scanner for Sun Solaris.

VirusScan for Solaris prevents Unix servers from providing safe haven or
transport to computer viruses that threaten heterogeneous network environments.

The announcement marks McAfee's latest move to upsize its product line to
support all leading enterprise network security and management platforms,
including NetWare, Windows NT, Unix, and the Internet. According to data
published in 1995 by market researcher IDC, McAfee is the world's leading vendor
 of standalone anti-virus software for DOS and Windows PC desktops, with an
estimated worldwide unit marketshare of 68%.

`Solaris is a popular operating system for Web servers, FTP servers, and file
servers in client/server network environments,` said Igor Grebert, anti-virus
product manager at McAfee. `Despite the relative lack of Unix-specific viruses,
these servers can harbor viruses capable of infecting network-attached
workstations running other operating systems such as DOS and Windows. VirusScan
for Solaris plugs a major security hole left open by traditional anti-virus
vendors who have neglected to recognize the importance of Unix file server
security in heterogeneous network environments.`

McAfee's development of a Solaris anti-virus solution was prompted by increasing
 customer demand for heterogeneous support of existing and emerging computing
platforms. Recent developments such as the rapid proliferation of Macro viruses,
 the introduction of the Windows 95-specific Boza virus, as well as the recent
Princeton University discovery of potential security flaws in Netscape Navigator
 and Sun Java applets, serve as proof of concept that emerging computing
platforms continue to be vulnerable to opportunistic virus writers. As the
world's leading anti-virus researcher and vendor, McAfee is committed to
providing its customers with proactive defenses to these emerging threats. By
working closely with leading vendors such as Microsoft, Sun Microsystems,
Novell, Hewlett-Packard, Compaq, AST and Apple, McAfee is committed to
decreasing the virus vulnerability of all computing platforms.

`Computer viruses pose an increasing threat to the performance, availability,
and data integrity of large heterogeneous networks,` said Theo Forbath,
consultant at Northeast Consulting Resources, Inc., a leading business and IT
consulting firm based in Boston, Mass. `With its entry into the Unix anti-virus
space, McAfee can now provide comprehensive mixed-platform support for the most
demanding enterprise networks.` Full-Featured Virus Protection for Solaris

VirusScan for Solaris delivers comprehensive anti-virus security for
Solaris-based workstations, Web servers, FTP servers, and file servers. The
product detects and removes over 6,000 computer viruses of all types, including
polymorphic viruses; stealth viruses, multi-partite viruses; encrypted viruses;
file viruses; and the newest macro viruses. VirusScan also scans compressed
files. For simplified manageability, VirusScan for Solaris utilizes the same
VirusScan data file detection updates as McAfee's VirusScan family for DOS,
Windows, and NT.

VirusScan for Solaris provides Unix server administrators a high degree of
scanning flexibility and ease of use. The product supports sequestering of
infected files, recursive directory tree scanning and a variety of reporting
options. McAfee Provides Industry's Most Comprehensive Anti-Virus Family

McAfee provides the industry's most comprehensive line of anti-virus software
and hardware solutions designed to protect against computer viruses on all major
 desktop and network computing platforms including DOS, Windows 3.x, Windows 95,
 Windows NT, Unix, OS/2, and the Macintosh. McAfee's flagship anti-virus product
 for desktop computers, VirusScan, has over 10 million users worldwide.
NetShield, McAfee's award-winning anti-virus software for networks, protects
NetWare and NT servers. WebScan, an anti-virus scanner for Web browsers,
protects computer users from accidentally downloading virus-infected files from
he Internet. For specialized boot virus prevention, McAfee sells BootShield
software and licenses its ROMShield firmware to leading PC systems and network
adapter companies. Pricing and Availability

VirusScan for Solaris enters external beta test this week and is expected to
begin shipping in March. VirusScan for Solaris will be priced based on the
number of servers, with quantity-one pricing expected to begin around $200 per
server.

VirusScan for Solaris will initially support Solaris 2.4, the * operating
 system for Sun's popular family of high-end workstations and Internet/Intranet
servers. Support for additional flavors of Unix is planned for the third and
fourth quarters of 1996.

Founded in 1989, McAfee is a leading vendor of Network Security and Network
Management products for the PC network management market. The company is also a
leader in Internet and Web-based electronic software distribution. McAfee is
headquartered in Santa Clara, Calif., and can be reached by phone at
408/988-3832 or by fax at 408/970-9727. McAfee's Web address is
http://www.veryComputer.com/.

Post by Bruce Edig » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

:I've been informed about the fact that McAfee has announced
:a virus scanner for Unix boxes (specifically Solaris 2.x)
:Has anyone else seen or used this product?  Does anyone
:have any recommendations as to its efficacy?

What viruses does it look for?  Boot sector viruses on IBM PC-style
boxes, maybe, but neither of the Duff viruses or that "Chapter 13"
virus pose any signifigant threat.

Post by Jonathan Roz » Wed, 28 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>:I've been informed about the fact that McAfee has announced
>:a virus scanner for Unix boxes (specifically Solaris 2.x)
>:Has anyone else seen or used this product?  Does anyone
>:have any recommendations as to its efficacy?

>What viruses does it look for?  Boot sector viruses on IBM PC-style
>boxes, maybe, but neither of the Duff viruses or that "Chapter 13"
>virus pose any signifigant threat.

All it does is scan files for PC viruses. The goal is to prevent Unix
machines from being a "safe-haven" for PC viruses (not that any sysadmin
worth his/her LART would give a hoot about protecting PC lusers from
their silly little viruses).

jonathan
--
+++ Jonathan Rozes, Unix Systems Administrator, Tufts University

+   Ultimately, thinking is a very inefficient method of processing
    data.... [Surfing the Himalayas, 0-312-14147-5]

1. Mcafee Virus Scanner and OpenBSD

In the process of building an OpenBSD mail server I found mailscanner a very slick open source mail gateway tool, however it requires Mcafee or Sophos for AV functionality.

I somehow stumbled upon a copy of Virus Scan for FreeBSD, thinking "We've got binary compatbility in the kernel by default, let's try it" I find "may core dumps later" That we aren't as compatible as I thought.

Anyone made this stuff work? Should I try the linux binary instead?

2. Setting up 56k Modem

3. Mcafee Virus Software! HA!

4. Sun Pixrect library

5. Looking for Sendmail Virus scanner

6. Possible to use EQL driver with two Dynamic IP serial connections ?

7. McAfee Anti-virus, NT & Linux

8. W2K-Prof/RH5.2 dual boot..

9. FYI: McAfee detects macro virus transmitted by Microsoft Mail

10. unix scanner for dos viruses

11. Virus Scanner for Unix...?

12. Mail virus scanner for UNIX

13. Unix Virus Scanners