AUTH_DES for NFS

Post by Jerome NEGRETT » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:59:42

Hello,

I'm searching for a package which allows me to use the AUTH_DES
authentification protocol with NFS3. I don't know if this package is
free (maybe not, that could be the reason why I don't find it). If
someone knwos where I can find it, please tell me, this is driving me
insane!!

Thanks

AUTH_DES for NFS

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:16:02

>I'm searching for a package which allows me to use the AUTH_DES
>authentification protocol with NFS3. I don't know if this package is
>free (maybe not, that could be the reason why I don't find it). If
>someone knwos where I can find it, please tell me, this is driving me
>insane!!

Genrally this is something your OS either supports or doesn't
support (Solaris does, Linux doesn't last time I looked)

Casper

be fiction rather than truth.

AUTH_DES for NFS

Post by Zoltan Glozi » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:51:08

Hi Jerome,

I have done a similar research recently - what I found was that only Solaris
supports it. SUN made available their secure RPC implementation on their web
site (search for TI-RPC), but as far as I know nobody has bothered to
integrate it with free operating systems :-(

There is an NFSv4 project for Linux that will support security features, but
AFAIK it is not that stable yet.

Regards,
Zoltan

Quote:> Hello,

> I'm searching for a package which allows me to use the AUTH_DES
> authentification protocol with NFS3. I don't know if this package is
> free (maybe not, that could be the reason why I don't find it). If
> someone knwos where I can find it, please tell me, this is driving me
> insane!!

> Thanks

AUTH_DES for NFS

Post by David Magd » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 04:15:01

[...]

Quote:> site (search for TI-RPC), but as far as I know nobody has bothered
> to integrate it with free operating systems :-(

It's been ported to some of the BSDs:

        http://www.attic.ch/tirpc.html

I think the work mostly focused on using TI-RPC to get things working
over IPv6. Don't know how much of the security realted code was
ported.

Quote:> There is an NFSv4 project for Linux that will support security
> features, but AFAIK it is not that stable yet.

FWIW, some more info is available here:

        http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/