FTP setup

Post by Matthew Coulso » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to set up my Linux box as an FTP server and HTTP server, and
since I don't know Linux security very well as I was getting it so other
people can FTP to my box I put in a definate security hole and within
two hours I no longer had su access. I am wondering exactly what I
should do to set it up so it is secure. Are there any websites with this
info? How about books? I am planning on doing a clean install of
Caldera's Open Linux 1.3 so that my errors are fixed without me having
to try to remember everything that I did that*myself over. Hope
somebody can help guide me.
Thanks,
Matthew Coulson

1. VERY slow FTP uploads, downloads are fine --ppp or ftp setup problem?

Hello,

Here is the problem: I am using ppp to connect to Internet. I've recently
discovered that when I try to upload large files ( 0.1-2MB,  mostly tar.gz
archives) via ftp it takes really long time. Trying the upload with the
hash marks on shows that uproximmately 50-100 K gets uploaded ( this is
how many
########################## appear) and then the transfer seems to stall.
Short files (1-50K) eventually get uploaded( albeit very slowly).  The
speed of FTP downloads is consistent with what I expect (2.8-3K/sec on a
28.8 modem) during the same connection, and this happens no matter what
server I try to upload a file to.

Is this likely to be an FTp or ppp problem? FTPing from WIN95 using the
same ISP  works fine both ways.

What debugging strategy would you suggest? Also-- this is something I
couldn't find from the FAQ/HOWTO/locate ppp|grep doc:
How do I find out what the negotiated connection speed has been set? (When
dialing from win, I usually get 24000 baud)

TIA for any info or suggestions. I am using the RedHat 4.1 distribution,
with no changes ( to the best of my knowledge) to relevant " factory
settings".

Best Wishes,
Andrei

2. Can't connect : pls. help

3. Prob with Anon Ftp setup for 3.2

4. Wacky system clock

5. Anon FTP Setup

6. Converting attached BinHex 4.0 files

7. Cannot see 3C905 during FTP setup of Enorex 21164

8. "x" in /etc/shadow and "*" in /etc/group on Solaris 7 or 8

9. FTP setup

10. FTP setup difficulties

11. Help with FTP setup

12. ftp setup on Linux/Apache