Accounts

Post by cybercl » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have a stupid question.  Very very stupid, and I can't figure it
out....but I am not stupid...so don't infer that in your answer!  :-o

I have just setup my own web server, and have a question.  Can someone
setup a web site, if all they have is an FTP account?  Or would it
take a telnet account, in addition to that.

Regards,
  *clay
----
Check out *clay's Hacked Inhabitants site.  There, you can find source code,
and other things that you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE.  IAll the things you need,
including SunOS files, Linux and UNIX bugs, and a new sendmail bug that hasn't
been patched yet.  Great resource for sysadmins, and h/p'ers alike.

http://www.veryComputer.com/
----

Accounts

Post by Don Nicho » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I have a stupid question.  Very very stupid, and I can't figure it
>out....but I am not stupid...so don't infer that in your answer!  :-o

>I have just setup my own web server, and have a question.  Can someone
>setup a web site, if all they have is an FTP account?  Or would it
>take a telnet account, in addition to that.

        Well ... an ftp account as whom?  If it is as root, then I think
that it would be possible, though certain things might be difficult.  You
would probably have to ftp out the /etc/rc.local (on a BSD flavored system),
modify it, and re-install it.  On recent SysV flavored ones, you would
probably need to put in a /etc/rc2.d/S??something to start it, and you would
probably need to modify the permissions on that (possibly by overwriting one
of the other S??something files first).  As our ftp is set up, you would
need to modify the permissions on a *lot* of things, since ftp strips off
the execute bit on the files which it writes.  Once things are set up, you
would need to force a reboot to get the scripts executed.  (Unless someone
knows a way to execute arbitrary programs via ftp.)

        Of course, if you have an ftp account as root, then you have your
telnet account as well, with a little work.

        With an ftp account as a normal user, it would be *very* difficult,
since I don't see any way to either start the httpd as a daemon, or to get
it into inetd with the right paths (to that user's home directory) to get it
run automatically.

        With an annonymous ftp account, I don't see *how* it would be done,
but if it can, someone will probably figure out how. :-)

--

Disclaimer: No statements herein are to be considered as necessarily
representing the opinions of the Department of the Army or Night Vision Labs.

Accounts

Post by Ronan Waid » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>    With an ftp account as a normal user, it would be *very* difficult,
> since I don't see any way to either start the httpd as a daemon, or to get
> it into inetd with the right paths (to that user's home directory) to get it
> run automatically.

Hehe. No, all you need do is make all your URLs ftp://whatever...

Waider. Probably not what the original poster was asking, but hey...
--

Accounts

Post by Roger Boo » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I have a stupid question.  Very very stupid, and I can't figure it
> out....but I am not stupid...so don't infer that in your answer!  :-o
> I have just setup my own web server, and have a question.  Can someone
> setup a web site, if all they have is an FTP account?  Or would it
> take a telnet account, in addition to that.

I would have thought this one obvious.  I take it you have a your own
machine and you would like to let other people have web pages but
don't want to give them shell accounts.  Not a problem.  They ftp
their pages to their home directories (which you have told your
server is where their files will be found).  The pages are
accessed as http://*clays.website.com/~username  just like normal.
If you do this I would recommend setting their default shell in the
passwd file to be the passwd program or a custom "you are not allowed
to login" program.  There is something floating around the net called
noshell that does this.

Roger

1. AliasMatch from ~/account to /users/account

I recently installed Apache 1.3.9 on a new webserver to replace our
current Netscape Server.  We have users on our systems that access
their pages as http://www.ourdomain.com/users/accountname.  Apache
expects the URL to be http://www.ourdomain.com/~accountname.

How do I set up Apache to allow the person browsing to
type /users/accountname into the browser so the server knows to find
the pages under /home/accountname?  I have tried:

AliasMatch /users/(.*)/(.*) /home/$1/http/$2

with no luck.  Maybe AliasMatch isn't what I'm needing here.  This
command, when searching deeper into directories will return:

/home/accountname/dir1/dir2/http/ ...etc.

Any help would be great.  Also, if you have any tips on converting
Netscape obj.conf files into Apache configs, let me know.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. low level formatting!

3. Use WinNT User Accounts on Linux -- Centralize User Accounts

4. TCP receive window behavior

5. FTP account without passwd (not an anonymous account)

6. Mosaic 2.4.2 TueV+term doesn't like term 2.0.4

7. Moving all stuff from one account to another machine account?

8. Can't mount root fs.

9. Easy way to identify system created account or account for system services

10. "Account id disabled -- See Account Adminstrator.

11. "Account accounting "

12. how to add a email account without linux account ?

13. HOW DO I MAKE A PPP ACCOUNT TO A SHELL ACCOUNT?