Zmodem transfers over SSH connection. How?

Zmodem transfers over SSH connection. How?

Post by Julian Stoe » Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi!
I have this problem.

I have two linux boxes. They are 15000 kilometers away. I want to copy
files from one to the other from time to time. I know how to make secure
ftp using ssh tunnels. But I want to use zmodem mainly because of better
resume. I know I can use scp. I don't want it for this. The interesting
problem for me is how to use zmodem with ssh. I do not want to install
some terminal emulator like Kermit.

Just ssh, sz, rz...
No uuencode or uudecode!
Can they do this and how?

I made a lot of efforts like

ssh remote_host sz some_file | rz
ssh -t remote_host sz some_file | rz
rz ; ssh remote_host sz some_file

I am not able to do it.

Thank you!

--Julian Stoev

Zmodem transfers over SSH connection. How?

Post by David Ste » Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I don't know whether it's the right way to do it, but it works for me with
"co-processes" in the Korn shell.

The difficulty is getting the output of 'rz' back as input to the sending
'sz', so I use ksh (using 'pdksh' on my Slackware Linux box) :

        ssh newt sz SIMPLE |& (rz <&p >&p)

this works for me (if SIMPLE is a simple text file), using the special 'p'
(for coprocess operator).

David.

> Hi!
> I have this problem.

> I have two linux boxes. They are 15000 kilometers away. I want to copy
> files from one to the other from time to time. I know how to make secure
> ftp using ssh tunnels. But I want to use zmodem mainly because of better
> resume. I know I can use scp. I don't want it for this. The interesting
> problem for me is how to use zmodem with ssh. I do not want to install
> some terminal emulator like Kermit.

> Just ssh, sz, rz...
> No uuencode or uudecode!
> Can they do this and how?

> I made a lot of efforts like

> ssh remote_host sz some_file | rz
> ssh -t remote_host sz some_file | rz
> rz ; ssh remote_host sz some_file

> I am not able to do it.

> Thank you!

> --Julian Stoev

Zmodem transfers over SSH connection. How?

Post by Julian Stoe » Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > files from one to the other from time to time. I know how to make secure
> > ftp using ssh tunnels. But I want to use zmodem mainly because of better
> > resume. I know I can use scp. I don't want it for this. The interesting

> FTP and HTTP are both able to resume fine - I don't see your problem.

Yes. I know this very well. I don't have a problem now. There is even a
very efficient solution with rsync, which somebody mailed me. But it is
still interesting how to do it only with ssh, rz, sz

I am not able to do this. That's why I am asking.

--Julian Stoev

Zmodem transfers over SSH connection. How?

Post by Nick Andr » Mon, 29 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have two linux boxes. They are 15000 kilometers away. I want to copy
>files from one to the other from time to time. I know how to make secure
>ftp using ssh tunnels.

How about rsync? http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

Nick.
--
Zeta Internet                     SP4   Fax: +61-2-9233-6545 Voice: 9231-9400
G.P.O. Box 3400, Sydney NSW 1043        http://www.zeta.org.au/

Zmodem transfers over SSH connection. How?

Post by Jeffrey Altm » Mon, 29 Nov 1999 04:00:00

: Hi!
: I have this problem.
:
: I have two linux boxes. They are 15000 kilometers away. I want to copy
: files from one to the other from time to time. I know how to make secure
: ftp using ssh tunnels. But I want to use zmodem mainly because of better
: resume. I know I can use scp. I don't want it for this. The interesting
: problem for me is how to use zmodem with ssh. I do not want to install
: some terminal emulator like Kermit.
:

You can do this with Kermit protocol.  Start C-Kermit and execute the
command

  set term autodownload on
  pty ssh remote_host

and then when you are at the prompt on the remote host

  kermit -s file

you can use kermit's RESEND/REGET commands if you need to restart
a binary mode transfer.

Info on C-Kermit 7.0 may be found at http://www.kermit-project.org/ck70.html

    Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer * Kermit-95 for Win32 and OS/2
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
              612 West 115th St #716 * New York, NY * 10025

Post by Benedikt Stockebran » Mon, 29 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I have two linux boxes. They are 15000 kilometers away. I want to copy
> files from one to the other from time to time. I know how to make secure
> ftp using ssh tunnels. But I want to use zmodem mainly because of better
> resume. I know I can use scp.

What about using split?  Try something like

$ split -b 16k FILE FILE.
$ while [ 'FILE.??' != "FILE.??" ] ; do \
      for f in FILE.?? ; do scp $f remote: && rm $f ; done ; \
  done
$ ssh remote 'cat FILE.?? >FILE && rm FILE.??'

on the source machine instead.  Change the fragment size to whatever
is suitable to your needs.

I'd prefer this to zmodem mostly because that while loop provides a
fully automatic "resume" feature.  If you like, compare checksums,
too.

So long,

    Ben

--
Benedikt Stockebrand, Dipl. Inform.       http://www.ruhr.de/home/devnull

   Unix- und Netzwerkmanager auf             Unix and network manager
der Suche nach einer neuen Stelle.            looking for a new job.

Zmodem transfers over SSH connection. How?

Post by Julian Stoe » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Thank you!
This is really impressive.

--JS

> >I have two linux boxes. They are 15000 kilometers away. I want to copy
> >files from one to the other from time to time. I know how to make secure
> >ftp using ssh tunnels.

> How about rsync? http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

> Nick.

Zmodem transfers over SSH connection. How?

Post by Chris » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

There are ssh clients for Windows, SecureCRT is one I think, that will do
ZModem over shh, I haven't checked for any for *nix and I haven't seen any
free ones either.

> > In article

> > > files from one to the other from time to time. I know how to make
secure
> > > ftp using ssh tunnels. But I want to use zmodem mainly because of
better
> > > resume. I know I can use scp. I don't want it for this. The
interesting

> > FTP and HTTP are both able to resume fine - I don't see your problem.

> Yes. I know this very well. I don't have a problem now. There is even a
> very efficient solution with rsync, which somebody mailed me. But it is
> still interesting how to do it only with ssh, rz, sz

> I am not able to do this. That's why I am asking.

> --Julian Stoev

Zmodem transfers over SSH connection. How?

TeraTerm + TTSSH will do zmodem ssh, and they're opensource (win32 only).

--
David Terrell            | "Instead of plodding through the equivalent of
Prime Minister, NebCorp  | literary Xanax, the pregeeks go for sci-fi and

http://wwn.nebcorp.com   | http://www.monkeybagel.com/ "Origins of Sysadmins"

1. Using Zmodem for file transfer over a direct connection.

Could anyone tell me if their is something special that must be done on
either the unix or pc end to transfer files over a direct connection using
z/y/xmodem. I can get them to work over a modem connection but not a
null-modem connection.

**                          Brian Degregorio                               **
**                       3504 11th ave N apt #16                           **
**                       Grand Forks, ND  58203                            **

**              Phone:  701-772-7856 or if busy 701-795-8620               **
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
                -- Indian proverb

2. khttpd patch [was: gzip vs. bzip2 (mainly de-)compression "benchmark"]

3. SSH to/from localhost works but ssh from remote fails (receives "Connection refused")

4. kernel recompile

5. Incomplete Zmodem Transfer

6. RS/6000 CRASH when using iomem_att

7. Zmodem Transfer...

8. . sed faq? sed group?

9. zmodem file transfer using rz

10. ZModem Transfer to remote host

11. zmodem transfer fails

12. Zmodem transfers in a telnet session

13. zmodem file transfer problems