TCPRPM - Trying to get to work problems

Post by Mark Cheste » Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I am trying to install and get TCPR to work to enable me to have
a kind of telnet/ftp/finger/whois proxy service through a
firewall. According to the readme this is what it should do.

I have installed and compiled ok. However when I run it doesn't
work, this is what I get;

ptelnet -v 192.0.1.7
Connecting to relay server 192.0.1.5 ...
Requesting relay ...
230-server[192.0.1.7]
230-service[telnet]
Trying 192.0.1.5 ...
Connected to server.
Escape character is '^]'.

at this poing it just sits there and does nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong.

Thanks Mark

Mark Chester
Osem Ltd.                             Tel:    +972 3 926 5392
61 Jabotinsky Street                  Fax:    +972 3 926 5499

Israel

Post by G. Paul Ziem » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

> [new tcpr installation has a problem]
>ptelnet -v 192.0.1.7
>Connecting to relay server 192.0.1.5 ...
>Requesting relay ...
>230-server[192.0.1.7]
>230-service[telnet]
>Trying 192.0.1.5 ...
>Connected to server.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>at this poing it just sits there and does nothing.

Hmm, that's weird. It's as if the telnet server on 192.0.1.7
is*.

Could you turn on logging on the relay (the -l switch to tcprpmd,
and configure syslogd to put daemon.debug and daemon.info
messages somewhere)? This would give some hints as to what's
happening.

depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

1. Trying to get IP-MASQ to work and getting frustrated

Hello. For all intents and purposes, I'm a newbie. I've set up Linux before,
but I've never tried to do what I'm trying to do now.

Here's my ultimate goal: I have a cable modem and I want to feed every
computer in my house (basically Win9x or NT machines) from a Linux gateway.

I have been to linuxnewbie.org, but the info on IPCHAINS there was
inapplicable to me.

I'm using RedHat 7.0 with kernel 2.2.12-<something>. Sorry I don't know what
<something> is but I have to go get my car fixed and I don't have time to
boot the box back up.

I downloaded a sample shell file from RedHat called firewallss and I made
the necessary changes. (They were few: my internal and external interfaces
were reversed from the sample, and my internal net is 192.168.0.0, not
192.168.20.0.) I set the proper flags to make it executable, executed it,
and I'm still getting "Cannot find server" errors in IE on my Windows
machines.

TCP/IP is configured thusly on the Windows box:
IP: 192.168.0.11
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
DNS is disabled (this may be a problem. I haven't tried it the other way.)
WINS is disabled
Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (the internal NIC on the Linux box)
(The rest of the TCP/IP properties dialog is irrelevant.)

Can any guru spot something wrong off the bat? Do I need to provide more
information? Tell me and I will gladly do so. Is there a really good
resource out there that's not written in Linux geek-ese? (I only speak the
Windows dialect of geek-ese.)

2. I love linux...

3. Getting my intel etherexpress pro/10 to work, 2nd try

4. SCCS and RCS

5. Has anybody tried getting GPC to work?

6. x-server / vnc question

7. problem getting OSS compatability to work with ALSA: aplay works; /dev/dsp gives noise.

8. Detecting various flavors of UNIX

9. Trying to get X to work (tried again)

10. Trying to set up PPP on Ultrix v4.4 but getting problems

11. Solved: trying to get Compaq QVISION card and mouse working (was NEC 4FGe problem)

12. getting lilo to work with copy of working install on other partition

13. Is anybody working on getting Lombard USB working?