Boot -s replies!

Post by Robert Lingenfelt » Sat, 01 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hello again!
 I would just like to thank those who replied
to my simple (simple minded!) question about
security. I sorta new I might get a little
heat by the nature of the inquiry, but I was
curious about the security password, and I
figured this was the group to ask.
 My desktop system is still secure, and will
remain so. I will not be guilty of "Forbidden
Use of Computer Knowledge". I don't expect it
is a big surprise that users try something
like this once in a while.
 Anyway, there were a few knee jerk sancti-
monious responses, which were flat out
wrong( the usual case), a few gentle admonish-
ments( I sheepishly accept), and several replies
that simply shared their expertise ( thank you ).
 Perhaps I should have simply said I was a new
Sys Admin guy that wanted to know how to secure
my terminals from a guy that might try a boot -s.
No heat....but why should I do that? I don't
need to scheme. If a person asks a question and
some of you don't think that person has the
rights or privilege to know....don't answer.
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.
 (See! Wasted bandwidth begets more wasted bw)

                        Regards (to all)
                        Robert

P.S. Anybody know how to write an internet worm?
     Aw.....never mind!

Opinions are my own, aren't yours?

Boot -s replies!

Post by Arny - the original and still the be » Fri, 07 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: Hello again!
:  I would just like to thank those who replied
: to my simple (simple minded!) question about
: security. I sorta new I might get a little

[snip]

: my terminals from a guy that might try a boot -s.
: No heat....but why should I do that? I don't
: need to scheme. If a person asks a question and
: some of you don't think that person has the
: rights or privilege to know....don't answer.
:  (See! Wasted bandwidth begets more wasted bw)

Yeah thanks from me also, I've often wanted to know the answer to the same
question myself, not much point in learning the finer points of security if
some joe can just walk up to a machine and hit a few keys and become root.

: P.S. Anybody know how to write an internet worm?
:      Aw.....never mind!

I've seen a link to the source to the original if you're really interested,
might need quite a bit of modernisation though.

In fact I'll write the worm for you if you're prepared to do the five year
prison sentence that RTM got (AFAIK).

Cheers,

--
<A HREF="http://scitsc.wlv.ac.uk/~cs6171/hack/index.html">unix/net/hack page</A>
<A HREF="http://scitsc.wlv.ac.uk/~cs6171/home.html">Arny's Home Page</A>

1. OhNo Thinkpad 380XD & Linux, Pings only replied to during boot of Linux

Folks,
Ping from Linux to W98 is fine but ping from W98SE to Linux only gets a
reply when Linux is booting - specifically just after pcmcia is initialized
but then comes a message  Reentering interrupt ISR and no more replies from
Linux. I've tried IRQ & io_addr exclusion etc, can anyone pls help?
TIA

Ian Turnbull
0961 931941

Web  : www.turnbui.freeserve.co.uk

2. Help: Which graphics card to buy for PCI ?

3. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

4. Keyboard dead when I get to "login" prompt

5. LILO saved boot file /boot/boot.0301

6. script

7. Boot x86 boot enhancements, boot parameters 1/9

8. NFS on Everest

9. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

10. renamed rc.boot to rc.boot.old now it wont boot???

11. Problems: The Reply

12. reply immediately...

13. automatic mail reply