Using htaccess to password protect a ~home page on apache

Using htaccess to password protect a ~home page on apache

Post by cybercl » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: I'm trying to set up a password protected home page subdirectory on my
: Apache server (~home/public_html/).
:
: I took an .htaccess file that I know works and modified it accordingly. It
: worked fine up until I was prompted for my username and password - it then
: consistently denies access.
:
: Has anyone out there had success with this?
:
: Kelly Campbell
: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Hey,
  I had this problem too.  My solution was to provide the FULL paths to
files in the .htaccess - the htgroup, and htpasswd.  Don't just give the
file name, give the full location.

Regards,
  *clay

---
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Martin Grap » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I'm trying to set up a password protected home page subdirectory on my
> Apache server (~home/public_html/).

> I took an .htaccess file that I know works and modified it accordingly. It
> worked fine up until I was prompted for my username and password - it then
> consistently denies access.

> Has anyone out there had success with this?

Sounds like the file where you store the crypted password for htaccess
isnt readable for the webserver. If the server cannot validate the
passwords against this file it will assume that they are wrong.

/Martin Grape

Using htaccess to password protect a ~home page on apache

Post by mfis.. » Thu, 12 Jun 1997 04:00:00

1. Using password protected pages with Apache?

I am having problems configuring a password protected are using Apache
1.1.1.  I have looked for tutorials on the subject but have apparently
not found the correct information.  I am running Apache on FreeBSD.
Everytime I try to change the configuration files to enable the dbm
security features the server will not start.  I have recompiled several
times.  There has to be a step I am missing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rob Buchanan

2. GUI Print Administration tool for Solaris 2.6

3. password protect all files but one with Apache .htaccess

4. Kerberos v4 and v5. Need some advice please!

5. Password protect http pages with Apache

6. Problems with MINORS in Device Driver Writing

7. Question on Apache .htaccess file/Returning to home page

8. World of Spectrum on slashdot.

9. Apache 1.3.4: How do I password protect pages?

10. passwd protect a page without htaccess htpasswd

11. password protecting a servlet with htaccess (Netscape Enterprise Server/iPlanet 4.x)

12. How to use .htaccess file to password protect a directory in the web?

13. Apache executing cgi-scripts inside .htaccess protected directories