Controlling outbound telnet connections.

Controlling outbound telnet connections.

Post by roo » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Much like tcpwrappers will filter and block inbound tcp connections to
my machine I need a product which will also filter and block connections
that are *from* my machine to another site, like users telneting or ftping
out from my host to other hosts. I would like to be able to selectively
stop outbound connections to certain hosts.
Thanks.
--

  Elaine Poulsen            TIAER: Tex Institute for Appl. Env. Research
  Webmaster                        MailStop T-0410,  201 St. Felix

Post by Vikram Baj » Sun, 01 Sep 1996 04:00:00

:
: Much like tcpwrappers will filter and block inbound tcp connections to
: my machine I need a product which will also filter and block connections
: that are *from* my machine to another site, like users telneting or ftping
: out from my host to other hosts. I would like to be able to selectively
: stop outbound connections to certain hosts.

Likely, you will want to implement some network-level security.  In the
most general case, you will want independent control over inbound and
outbound telnet connections.  You can implement outbound filtering rules that
block all TCP port 23 packets with the ACK bit set.  If don't need
independent control over outbound/inbound connections, you can
bidirectionally block all TCP port 23 packets to or from machines you
don't trust, regardless of ACK.

Truly,

Vik

Controlling outbound telnet connections.

Post by Daniel Esbens » Sun, 01 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Much like tcpwrappers will filter and block inbound tcp connections to
>my machine I need a product which will also filter and block connections
>that are *from* my machine to another site, like users telneting or
ftping
>out from my host to other hosts. I would like to be able to selectively
>stop outbound connections to certain hosts.
>Thanks.
>--

Hi,

Our company has a product -- INTOUCH NSA - Network Security Agent, that
can, among other things, detect outbound telnet sessions and selectively
disconnect them.  The disconnect can be based on:

  IP address of client or host
  login name
  any pattern of text that you can think of

For more information, see  http://www.ttinet.com/

Dan E.

Controlling outbound telnet connections.

Post by Ken L » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Much like tcpwrappers will filter and block inbound tcp connections to
>my machine I need a product which will also filter and block connections
>that are *from* my machine to another site, like users telneting or ftping
>out from my host to other hosts. I would like to be able to selectively
>stop outbound connections to certain hosts.

If you have filtering in the kernel, you may be able to do it.  I believe
screen will do it.  Of course, filtering in your router is probably the
easiest (no kernel rebuilds).

-k
--
---

Integrated Technical Systems
Systems, Networks, and Internet Solutions -- Defining Technology Today
  "'Plug and Play' was only applicable to the original ATARI(tm)"

Post by Wim Vandeput » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

:
: Much like tcpwrappers will filter and block inbound tcp connections to
: my machine I need a product which will also filter and block connections
: that are *from* my machine to another site, like users telneting or ftping
: out from my host to other hosts. I would like to be able to selectively
: stop outbound connections to certain hosts.

you can use a kernel with build in firewalling (or a seperate computer for
that. You'll have to route all connections through it)

Linux can do it. don't know about any others

Post by Doug O'Ne » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: Much like tcpwrappers will filter and block inbound tcp connections to
: my machine I need a product which will also filter and block connections
: that are *from* my machine to another site, like users telneting or ftping
: out from my host to other hosts. I would like to be able to selectively
: stop outbound connections to certain hosts.
: Thanks.
: --

The easiest way I have found for disallowing a small number of hosts
is to route its traffic to a non-existant router, e.g.
    route add dis.allowed.machine 196.0.0.1

Doug
--
Douglas O'Neal, Senior Systems Programmer, Johns Hopkins University

"Hypothetical questions get hypothetical answers" - Joan Baez

1. NETWORK--Outbound TELNET ok but Inbound TELNET fails

Hi, I am still having this problem (i.e., outbound TELNET or FTP works
fine but the inbound TELNET or FTP fails.  The inbound TELNET or FTP
will work for a few minutes after each outbound network access.)  I
saw a few other people posted message saying thwy had the same problem.
Have you guys solved this problem yet?  If so, what is the solution?

Thanks for any help.

Arthur

2. Redhat Hard Drive Installation

3. Control the # of telnet connections - HELP !!!!!

4. Find VMS file size in KornScript

5. control telnet connections

6. host.conf

7. How to control the # of telnet connections - HELP!!!!!

8. Out of memory-Anything I can do?

9. Control Inbound and Outbound packets

10. iptables & outbound connections

11. connection hangs when ftp -> outbound

12. Banning outbound connection to host list except for some few hosts

13. { UPDATED } Help: Multipathing - outbound connections from "dummy" address