Looking for REALLY good books about security (UNIX and in general)

Looking for REALLY good books about security (UNIX and in general)

Post by w » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hi,
 I'm a begginer in the field of computer security. I'm looking for books
 which deal with the topic. I mean books worth time spent on reading
 (somebody else is going to pay for them 8-))) If you know such a book, PLEASE
 let me know (I welcome direct e-mail messages: I'm going to post summary
 to this group) If you know any of the following books, PLEASE let me know,
 what do you think about them

 UNIX security
 1 "Practical Unix Security", S. Garfinkel, G. Spatfford; O'Reily & Associates
   ISBN 0-937175-72-2

 2 "The Secure Unix Organisation", Samalin (?), McGraw-Hill

 3 "The Unix Audit", Grottola (?), McGraw-Hill

 4 "Unix Security. A Practical Tutorial", N. Derek Arnold; McGraw-Hill;
   ISBN 0-07-002560-6

 GENERAL computer security
 5 "Computer Security Basics", D. Russel, G.T. Gangemis; O'Reily & Associates
   ISBN 0-937175-71-4

 6 "Computer Security Reference Book", K.M. Jackson, J.Hruska, D.B.Parker
   (editors); Butterworth-Heinemann; ISBN 0-7506-1913-9

 7 "Computer security handbook", W. Caelli, D. Longley, M. Shain (editors?);
   Macmillan Press; ISBN 0-333-599012

 8 "Cryptography and secure communications", Man Young Rhee, McGraw-Hill;
   ISBN 0-07-112502-7

Post by Bernd Leh » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Hi,
:  I'm a begginer in the field of computer security. I'm looking for books
:  which deal with the topic. I mean books worth time spent on reading
:  (somebody else is going to pay for them 8-))) If you know such a book, PLEASE
:  let me know (I welcome direct e-mail messages: I'm going to post summary
:  to this group) If you know any of the following books, PLEASE let me know,
:  what do you think about them

Take a look at "Firewalls and Internet Security" by Cheswick and ... um
I don't remember the other author. It is published by Addison Wesley (?)

Before You read a good book on security be sure to have understood the
basics especially of TCP/IP. Book Tip: "TCP/IP" by Craig Hunt, O'Reilly
International Nutshell Handbook

--

Post by Nick Barr » Sun, 11 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>  1 "Practical Unix Security", S. Garfinkel, G. Spatfford; O'Reily & Associates
>    ISBN 0-937175-72-2

A "must-have".  Very good overall guide.

Quote:>  GENERAL computer security
>  5 "Computer Security Basics", D. Russel, G.T. Gangemis; O'Reily & Associates
>    ISBN 0-937175-71-4

Good, but slanted towards the US DoD security standards.  Don't own a copy
myself.

For cryptography and networking security, check out Applied Cryptography by
Bruce Schneier and "Network security: private communication in a public
world" by Kaufman, Perlman and Speciner (details on request).

Post by Nick Barr » Wed, 14 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> Take a look at "Firewalls and Internet Security" by Cheswick and ... um
> I don't remember the other author. It is published by Addison Wesley (?)

Steve Bellovin, and excellent author.  And a very good book.

Looking for REALLY good books about security (UNIX and in general)

Post by Shinu Gup » Thu, 15 Jun 1995 04:00:00

help
send unix

Also check out:
http://www.libhitech.com/libhitech/

Post by KeesTorenvli » Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: Looking for REALLY good books about security (UNIX and in general)
>Date: Wed, 14 Jun 95 18:04:02 GMT

>help
>send unix
>Also check out:
>http://www.libhitech.com/libhitech/

>|> Steve Bellovin, and excellent author.  And a very good book.

Another excellent book on general security is "Computer Communications
Security: Principles, Standards Protocols and Techniques" by Warwick Ford.  It
is published by Prentice Hall.  ISBN is 0-13-799453-2.

Kees

1. Really serious security hole in Microport Unix (Re: SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386)

[I've crossposted this widely because there should be a lot of
people who care about this; however, I've directed followups to
comp.unix.sysv386.]

Interactive's Unix isn't the only one with a really serious
security hole. Microport 3.0e, and possibly others from
Microport, has an equally awful hole and it is unfixable without
kernel hacking. Microport knows about it since I told them about
it; I don't know what, if anything, they are going to do about it.

If anyone out there wants information on this bug, I will send it
to you. Also, I have created a replacement for the offending
kernel module of 3.0e and can send that. However, I will only

your site is reasonably secure. If you are at the end of an
insecure (in my opinion, and I won't change it) path and you still
want this information, I will arrange a direct uucp connection to
send it. If that won't work, I'll try to arrange something.

I won't immediately describe the bug on the net in order to give
admins a chance to fix their systems before the crackers get a
whack at it. I can't even describe the general area that this bug
compromises without making it too easy to trigger it.

In a few weeks, after the expected deluge of "what *is* that bug"
messages, I will post the informational message I'm sending out.

--

Consider said various vicious and incendiary comments about brain
dead programmers and inadequate QA. These bugs should *never*

2. patch question

3. Looking for good book on advanced unix programming

4. sparc Solaris and cached disk writes.

5. Looking for a good UNIX sysadmin book

6. Tracking Users Simply and Efficiently (HOWTO)

7. looking for a good UNIX book

8. Help compiling kerberos

9. Which is the good book for Unix Admin book ?

10. What is a really good Apache book?

11. Need advice on really good AIX book

12. Need good books on Advanced UNIX programming, Standard Unix C APIs

13. Looking for some general tips/pointers for career in IT Security