Out Of Box Unix Security -- Any *specific* comments on Slackware, Debian, etc versions?

Out Of Box Unix Security -- Any *specific* comments on Slackware, Debian, etc versions?

Post by Mike Magor » Sun, 16 May 1999 04:00:00

It seems to me that all comments of revolved around OpenBSD & Redhat.

Purely as a point of curiosity for myself, I'd like to hear people's
opinions on the Slackware and Debian versions that ship.

What about the various "pure" Unix systems vs. Linux versions.

gores

Post by DanH » Sun, 16 May 1999 04:00:00

> It seems to me that all comments of revolved around OpenBSD & Redhat.

> Purely as a point of curiosity for myself, I'd like to hear people's
> opinions on the Slackware and Debian versions that ship.

> What about the various "pure" Unix systems vs. Linux versions.

I've installed IRIX, Solaris, Linux, and HP-UX.  They all are similar in
their requirement for tweaking with a security eye.  Never install one
unless it's either behind a severe firewall or (preferred) in
stand-alone until you have the minor flavor specific holes and/or
defaults closed.

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal *s anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

1. Installing a Debian package into a Slackware box

        Hello,
        I am contemplating installing a Debian package, say x.deb,
into my computer box, which is based on Slackware3.2.
        Is there an easy way to do that, assuming I will take care
of package dependency by means other than the Debian way?  What compression
format is .deb ?  It does not seem to be tgz, cpio, does it?
        What I am thinking of doing is to build the boot and root
diskettes the Debian way, and use them (specifically, dselect) to
install the package of interest.  Is there any other more direct
way?
        Thanks for your help.
        HH Nguyen

2. Why can't stdin from a file be read by an overlay?

3. Comment out a line in /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow

4. rdate problem

5. comments in /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf

6. Cyrus imapd | core dumped!!! | help needed

7. OT: I have entered the consumer market: Comments, suggestions etc etc

8. Support for older S3 cards in XFree 4.0.1

9. Slackware, SLS, Debian, etc. -- What are pros/cons?

10. Raxco Security Toolkit/UNIX Comments anyone?

11. Different versions of Liunux (RedHat/Caldera/Debian/etc.) - why??

12. slackware out of the box - security issues

13. Copy Users from one Unix Box to another Unix Box