telnet security

Post by Frank Cusac » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hi, I am using RH5.1 Linux. Here is my question.: Let's say i telnet to a
> machine X, then I ssh to a machine Y. Is this a secure connection or not.

not.

--
Frank Cusack       **       Icon CMT Corp.       **       PGP: C001AA75
"One World. One Web. One Program."  -Microsoft promotional adverti*t

telnet security

Post by Jeff » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hi, I am using RH5.1 Linux. Here is my question.: Let's say i telnet
> to a machine X, then I ssh to a machine Y. Is this a secure
> connection or not. In other words, while i am on X(which i telnet-ed
> to), and after i type "ssh machineY", is typing the password to Y
> secure or not. Thanks for any help.

You are really describing the following:

        ---         ---         ---
        |A|---------|X|---------|Y|
        ---         ---         ---

where you are originally sitting at host A, using telnet to get to X,
and then using SSH to get to Y.

What you will have is an encrypted connection from X to Y, but not
from A to X. If a Berferd is able to sniff the connection you have
between A and X, then you will not have a secure connection. If, on
the other hand, if you have total control over the A to X connection
(via, say, a direct cable), then your conenction is secure.

In other words, like any chain, your connection is only as secure as
it's least secure link.

Jeff

1. Telnet Security

I want to disable certain users from telneting into a
RedHat Linux 5.1 machine altogether, is this possible?
Actually disabling certain users from using ftp, rsh,
rlogin, and anything else would be cool too.

--
Bryan Stevenson
BMH Associates, Inc.

2. ide updates

3. telnet security

4. why lots of bad hardware suddenly discovered upon linux installations?

5. Telnet security

6. LILO version 21.6.1 released

7. Telnet security...

8. First two chars dropped from filenames in xv, Solaris2.3

9. Telnet security

10. telnet security

11. Telnet security

12. telnet security