NaughtRobot, digiCRIME.com ?? any info

Post by Joshua Alema » Mon, 10 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I have received to unsolicited pieces of mail from an organization/server
that calls itself *Robot.  It claims to expose and exploit flaws in
your system, and infact did seem to send the mail spoofed as me, despite
anti-spoofing filters in my router.

Appx a month later, I received mail, seemingly from CERT, indicating that
they are aware of *Robot, and that more info can be found at the
site, www.digiCRIME.com.  Wary, but interested, I attempted to access
digiCRIME.com, using a java enebale browser (Netscape 3.0).  The site
appears to attempt to telnet into your site, so I closed my connection,
for fear of something more ominous happening.

I am a relative neophyte concerning unix security issues.  My company is
not NASA so I have not considered myself an interesting target.  My
security is currently limited to packet filters, and closing quest
accounts, anon ftp, rlogin.

Does anyone have any info on this *Robot or www.digiCRIME.com?

Your help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Joshua Alemany

PLEASE, e-mail as well as post as I do not often find the timeto browse
the boards.  Thanks again.

Post by Sean A. Walbe » Mon, 10 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I have received to unsolicited pieces of mail from an organization/server
>that calls itself *Robot.  It claims to expose and exploit flaws in
>your system, and infact did seem to send the mail spoofed as me, despite
>anti-spoofing filters in my router.

A hoax...

Quote:>digiCRIME.com, using a java enebale browser (Netscape 3.0).  The site
>appears to attempt to telnet into your site, so I closed my connection,
>for fear of something more ominous happening.

It did an identd on me, yes.  But it didn't try to telnet to my site.

Quote:>Does anyone have any info on this *Robot or www.digiCRIME.com?

* robot is a hoax, please refer to
http://www.veryComputer.com/*r.shtml

digicrime is more of a joke than anything else, browse through their
website and you will see.

Sean

Post by Bob Hau » Mon, 17 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone have any info on this *Robot or www.digiCRIME.com?

They are *jokes*, *hoaxes*, but with a serious purpose.  The
www.digicrime.com site does not do any real damange to your system,
AFAIK, but it does point out some real flaws in Internet security
that you should be aware of.  It also has some nifty Java and
Javascript denial-of-service attacks (e.g. open windows as fast as
possible to prevent you from using your computer).

---

 Wasatch Communications Group               http://www.veryComputer.com/