(SUMMARY) Fake root for ftp-user other than "ftp/anonymous"?

(SUMMARY) Fake root for ftp-user other than "ftp/anonymous"?

Post by Terje Thoegers » Fri, 08 Jul 1994 19:50:47

Hi!

A while ago I asked :

Quote:> When 'anonymous' or 'ftp' logs in, ftpd does a chroot for that
> user, denying him access to other than a specified directory
> tree.
> Can I somehow get ftpd to do this for an other user?

I've gotten several most helpful replies, most of which pointed me
towards wuarchiv's wu-ftpd replacement ftpd-server. Due to my rather
strange Unix system, I'm still in the process of trying to get this
to work, but I fairly sure I'll get there. (the code seems BSD'ish
and is written in ANSI C. I'm stuck with SV3.2 and a K&R compiler.)
(If anyone has ported wu-ftpd to DYNIX/ptx 1.3.1 please mail me :-))

This server has, as several correspondents mentioned, the required
facilities to force some or all users to work in a chroot'ed
environment. An added bonus is the implementation of the 'SITE'
command or 'EXEC', both of which can be used to let the calling
process kick off a command to let the receiving system know a file
has been received (eliminating the need for a daemon to hang about
checking ~/incoming for new files)

Some also pointed tcp-wrapper, which will grant or deny access to a
machine's resources based on IP-adress/hostname.

One also mentioned hacking the ftpd-source, but since my dealer
wants USD 5000 for the TCP/IP binaries (excluding NFS and X), I
haven't the courage to ask what the sources might cost me..

Thank you very much to all who responded!

  -Terje

Terje Thoegersen, Systems Consultant, Norsk Hydro a.s, Hydro Data
N-0240 Oslo, Norway. Tel : +47 22 43 23 46  Fax : +47 22 43 27 47

1. Fake root for ftp-user other than "ftp/anonymous"?

Hi!

When 'anonymous' or 'ftp' logs in, ftpd does a chroot for that
user, denying him access to other than a specified directory
tree.

Can I somehow get ftpd to do this for an other user?

(I want to automate data transfer between an 3090 running MVS and
a Unisys/Sequent running SVR3, ptx 1.3.1)

Thanks in advance,

  -Terje
Terje Thoegersen, Systems Consultant, Norsk Hydro a.s, Hydro Data
N-0240 Oslo, Norway. Tel : +47 22 43 23 46  Fax : +47 22 43 27 47

2. lilo, modem, cdrom

3. how to install a user "anonymous" with ftp

4. Networking

5. Security: Fake "ftp-hole"-checker ...

6. Recompiled kernel, lost atapi zip drive,ppp permission

8. is this "SPAM"?

9. "Program to repeat anonymous ftp until successful?"

10. About FTP , about anonymous, about ELF and COFF, about command "ls" ?!

11. problem w/anonymous ftp -- "Can't create data socket"

12. Q: can I have "anonymous-ftp" type login?

13. Mail for user "backup" going to "root"