Secure OS For Firewall. Any Recommendations?

Secure OS For Firewall. Any Recommendations?

Post by Mr SA Johns » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

Hello,
      Is their one particular Unix Environment that has been favored
for usage when it comes to firewalls and firewalling software?
Is there one particular Operating System which anyone has had
good experience with when running a Firewall on ? Could someone
recommend some good firewall software?

Regards

Simon Johnson.

Secure OS For Firewall. Any Recommendations?

Post by Catherine Fulm » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,
>      Is their one particular Unix Environment that has been favored
>for usage when it comes to firewalls and firewalling software?

General opinion is that it is best to use an OS that the person
who will setup/maintain the firewall is most familiar with.

Quote:>Is there one particular Operating System which anyone has had
>good experience with when running a Firewall on ? Could someone
>recommend some good firewall software?

>Regards
>Simon Johnson.

There seems to be quite a few more choices (both public domain and
commercial) if you go with some flavor of UNIX for an OS, but you
can find stuff for some pc platforms too.
With most of the commercial products there are some limitations as to
which platforms they will run on, (and perhaps an unacknowledged
platform where they actually did the most comprehensive testing...).

Read up on firewalls, get some consulting help if you can or need to,
look at what you need to provide, look at your budget, look at the
choices again, and it may begin to give you a better picture.
(See also:
The list of commercial firewall products and vendors,
and related product info, at:
http://www.access.digex.net/~bdboyle/firewall.vendor.html
And a backup copy at:
http://www.waterw.com/~manowar/vendor.html   )

Good Luck!
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

  http://www.waterw.com/~manowar

Secure OS For Firewall. Any Recommendations?

Post by Marcus J. Ran » Mon, 15 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>      Is their one particular Unix Environment that has been favored
>for usage when it comes to firewalls and firewalling software?

        Hands down, the most cost-effective platform is Intel-based
systems with some form of BSD or Linux. Since we make a commercial
product, we use a vendor-supported O/S, namely BSD/OS from BSDI.
It's nice to have someone else sweat the O/S problems and not have
to do them yourself. [I'm not a kernel guru. It's nice to know that
guys like Mike Karels are working to fix your problems for you,
instead of "do it yourself, bunky."]

        Probably the second most popular platforms would be Suns,
if you favor slower, more expensive machines.

Quote:>Is there one particular Operating System which anyone has had
>good experience with when running a Firewall on ? Could someone
>recommend some good firewall software?

mjr.
--
http://www.tis.com/Home/Personal/Ranum/Page.html

Post by Brett Dolecheck - A » Mon, 22 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:Simon Johnson writes:
>      Is their one particular Unix Environment that has been favored
>for usage when it comes to firewalls and firewalling software?
>Is there one particular Operating System which anyone has had
>good experience with when running a Firewall on ? Could someone
>recommend some good firewall software?

We, at Network-1, sell a packet-filtering firewall that runs on a MS-DOS PC and
does not have an IP stack loaded.  Because it isn't running IP, the firewall
is very secure from a network attack.  The only way to "talk" to the software
is via the keyboard attached to it.  The firewall software is also very secure,
it can be configured to block *all* network traffic from network-2-network
(it is a dual-homed gateway).

If you would like further info, I can be reached at:

  |  Network-1 Software & Technology, Inc.   Phone: 214-606-8200             |
  |  878 Greenview Dr.                         Fax: 214-606-8220             |
  |  Grand Prairie, TX  75050                                                |
  |                  God is real unless declared integer!                    |

Post by Mike Sch » Mon, 22 May 1995 04:00:00

: We, at Network-1, sell a packet-filtering firewall that runs on a MS-DOS PC and
: does not have an IP stack loaded.  Because it isn't running IP, the firewall
: is very secure from a network attack.  The only way to "talk" to the software
: is via the keyboard attached to it.  The firewall software is also very secure,
: it can be configured to block *all* network traffic from network-2-network
: (it is a dual-homed gateway).
Various versions of the KA9Q software do precisely that, leaving only
the echo and discard ports open.

Most versions are free, and run in just 1MB RAM under DOS, with a
386DX/40 providing more than enough processing power.

      -Mike

--
Michael Brian Scher   (MS683)   | TEZCAT.COM Staff and In-House Counsel

http://www.tezcat.com/~strange/ |         Info:(312) 850-0181
    I'm a legal anthropologist; what's an illegal anthropologist?

Post by Bob Rus » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

> : We, at Network-1, sell a packet-filtering firewall that runs on a
MS-DOS PC and
> : does not have an IP stack loaded.  Because it isn't running IP, the firewall
> : is very secure from a network attack.  The only way to "talk" to the
software
> : is via the keyboard attached to it.  The firewall software is also
very secure,
> : it can be configured to block *all* network traffic from network-2-network
> : (it is a dual-homed gateway).
> Various versions of the KA9Q software do precisely that, leaving only
> the echo and discard ports open.

> Most versions are free, and run in just 1MB RAM under DOS, with a
> 386DX/40 providing more than enough processing power.

KA9Q is not a supported product (as far as I know), you set up filters
using a scripting language (which is not so easy), when something goes
wrong who do you call?

Please keep in mind that I'm comming from a sales, marketing & support
point of view (tainted view), but if you can handle no support and
somewhat difficult to set up...good luck!

Post by Alan C » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>KA9Q is not a supported product (as far as I know), you set up filters
>using a scripting language (which is not so easy), when something goes
>wrong who do you call?

Your security expert. I assume if you are doing anything that needs
security you are going to get a person who knows what they are talking
about to do it.

Quote:>Please keep in mind that I'm comming from a sales, marketing & support
>point of view (tainted view), but if you can handle no support and
>somewhat difficult to set up...good luck!

Not really. Knowledge (is support/configuration) is a commercially saleable
item to people who don't have it and don't need it often enough to justify
the cost of it in house. KA9Q is handy for doing things cheaply.

Alan
--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,

 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''
Redistribution of this message via the Microsoft Network is prohibited

Post by Graham Broadbrid » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: KA9Q is not a supported product (as far as I know), you set up filters
: using a scripting language (which is not so easy), when something goes
: wrong who do you call?

KA9Q is also not free, unless you happen to be a radio amateur using it for
amateur radio use.

Commercial use is prohibited without a license.

: Please keep in mind that I'm comming from a sales, marketing & support
: point of view (tainted view), but if you can handle no support and
: somewhat difficult to set up...good luck!

1. rc.firewall v5.0 - the most complete and secure Firewall for Linux.

rc.firewall v5.0 has just been released this morning.

DESCRIPTION

rc.firewall is an ipchains-based firewall script with extensive support
for network services (IPSec, VTUN, NFS, SMB, Napster, Proxies, etc.),
masquerading, port forwarding (including definitions for network games),
and IP accounting. All services are self-contained modules which can be
prioritized and installed easily. Protections include spoofing, stuffed
routing/masqerading, DoS, smurf attacks, outgoing port scans, and much
more. rc.firewall also supports multiple private and public interfaces
with unique rules for each interface/service. This allows the creation
of a De-Militarized Zone (DMZ).

http://www.jsmoriss.dyndns.org/linux/firewall.html

--

Personal Homepage <http://www.jsmoriss.dyndns.org/>
UNIX, Internet, Homebrewing, Cigars, PCS, CP2020 and other Fun Stuff...

2. XF86Config for CirrusLogic 7543 PCI?

3. Secure Secure Secure

4. yam.c: return IRQ_NONE in error case

5. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

6. g++ include directory

7. Need recommendations on securing signature databases & public keys

8. DLINK NIC for Mandrake

9. Secure FTP recommendations

10. Recommendations for setting up an inexpensive Web server for secure commerce

11. Is there any way to secure the data through the os bottom encryption?

12. Recommendations on OS

13. subjective Q. - what's the most secure OS?