SATAN - what am I missing here?

Post by Wietse Vene » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>I would liek to use SATAN to test my firewall. So I installed it
>on a machine outside of the firewall, and in the Primary
>target selection area, gave it the name of the firewall machine.

SATAN looks for (once upon a time, common) configuration problems
and vulnerable network servers. Many of these services such as X,
rlogin/rsh, NFS, NIS or telnet should not be used on a firewall,
whether or not they are properly configured.

In other words, it does not make much sense to run SATAN against
a firewall.

        Wietse

Quote:>If I select "Scan the target host only" it gives me messages like:
>bin/udp_scan: are we talking to a dead host or network?

The firewall does not respond to UDP packets, or the responses to
UDP probes are blocked on their way out. As a result, the UDP port
scanner is unable to detect if the machine is reachable at all.

Quote:>rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - Network is
>unreachable

The the portmapper cannot be reached, probably due to packet
filtering restrictions.

Quote:>*** [my domain name] can't find [firewall name].: Non-existent domain

The firewall is not running NIS, or the NIS server is not reachable
due to packet filter restrictions.

Quote:>If I select "Scan all host in the primary subset", it gives me:
>bin/get_targets failed - unable to expand subnet [firewall name]

Something is dropping ICMP echo requests or replies.

Quote:>These results make sense to me - the firewall machine is not accessable
>from the machine I'm running SATAN on. But then, how I can probe the
>firewall? Is there some basic concept I'm missing here?

One cannot probe something that is unreachable.

1. Satan v111 GCC error missing rex.h

I'm trying to compile Satan v1.1.1 on a Linux box running kernel v2.0.29
with GCC 2.7.0

I think I got this one off of sunsite/linux  as satan111.tgz
after the perl reconfig I do a make and get the following error:

cc -O2 -m486 -I. -DAUTH_GID_T=gid_t   -c rex.c -o rex.o
rex.c:33: rex.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [rex.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/pub/tmp/src/satan-1.1.1.clean/src/misc'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/pub/tmp/src/satan-1.1.1.clean'
make: *** [linux] Error 2

any advice, ideas, fixes you might have would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!
--
l8r
Jeremiah Cox  AKA  Arctangent

Humble web page: http://www.su.okstate.edu/students/cjeremi/

2. HELP "route not stable"

3. SATAN compilation--missing rpcgen?

4. I don't see graphical ascii characters

5. I am missing something simple

6. Netscape Communications Server

7. sensors - what am I missing?

9. sockets: what am I missing?

10. Am I missing something with the 5.0 ISO images?

11. Am I missing some news or did NetBSD 1.1 not get announced?

12. Am I the only one missing man pages?

13. What am I missing [Linux emulation] ?