Wietse in.rlogind + TCP Wrappers = 2 banners?

Wietse in.rlogind + TCP Wrappers = 2 banners?

Post by Chris Wal » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Howdy.

I am running Wietse's log-daemon daemons and /bin/login replacement on
a 4.1.4 Sun, along with TCP Wrappers with compiled with  process_options
enabled.  The goal is to log connections, and also to display
certain banners when people connect, and different ones when
connections are denied.  It works great!

However, I noticed that non-rejected rlogin connections display the
banner twice.  If I modify my hosts.deny to have a banners action for
"all except in.rlogind" then I get no banner when an rlogin connection is made.

I am concluding that both in.rlogind and tcpd are obeying the
hosts.deny instructions.  If this is correct, is there a sensible way
to prevent it, other than by modifying Wietse's rlogind source?
If it is not correct, can someone offer an alternative explanation?

If this is a RTFM question, I apologize -- I was unable to find reference to
the banner feature of the rlogind daemon anywhere other than in the README,
which says:
"941218  Changed rlogind and rshd to use the open-ended tcp wrapper 7.0
    programmatic interface, so that banners can be used."

Well, I believe that alright!  My question is how to not use them, since
tcpd is already displaying them.

Thanks folks.

Chris

1. Wietse's tcp wrapper 7.6

Has anyone used Wietse's tcp wrapper V 7.6 on Version 4.3.2 of AIX?
Whilst it works perfectly on 4.2.1 (denying access to certain domains/IP
addresses), on 4.3.2
it thinks that every incoming address is "0.0.0.0"  There may be a fix
out there that I don't know about.

Thanks in advance

     Barry

2. KMail 1.2 and KDE 2.1.1 cuts off bottom print line

3. tcp wrappers and tcp banners.....HELP

4. Programming NIC`s EEPROM under Linux

5. tcp wrappers (TCP/IP daemon wrapper)

6. minicom can't find /dev/modem

7. Want to show refusal banner with TCP wrappers

8. 2.0.24 and bootpd..

9. TCP Wrapper refuses connection, Banner Message Needed

10. Multi-line Banners using ftpd and rlogind

11. Banner Printing in TCP/IP Network

12. TCP Wrappers with CVS

13. TCP Wrappers output after denial