Finger Logging .plan file

Post by Ben Humphre » Thu, 04 Aug 1994 15:31:00

Hi!

I was wondering if somebody has the code to log who has been fingering
you. I have heard there is some code to replace you .plan file that will
let you know who has been fingering you. If someone could email me
the code or at least tell me where I could FTP it I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Finger Logging .plan file

Post by David Luy » Fri, 05 Aug 1994 19:57:38

: Hi!

: I was wondering if somebody has the code to log who has been fingering
: you. I have heard there is some code to replace you .plan file that will
: let you know who has been fingering you. If someone could email me
: the code or at least tell me where I could FTP it I would be very grateful.
I'm not sure... think it's called 'lumberjack'.

What you do is (1) replace your .plan file with a FIFO/pipe/whatever and
(2) leave a background task (lumberjack) which will both log fingers and
allow you to give dynamic finger responses (such as 'hello to
sunsite.unc.edu' if you want to be stupid ;)

As you may guess, I can't remember for certian... I saw this a while
ago.

luyer

1. Name pipe files and finger .plan files...

I read with interest in the FAQ file here, the suggestion about using a name
pipe (made with mknod) in regards to finding, and possibly using the name of
the person fingering you in a plan file. However, the FAQ just brushes on the
idea and looks more at how to find remote user names.

Would some kind soul(s) be willing to explain to an intermediate shell user/C
programmer how to receive a (local, or perhaps remote) users name when
fingered and possibly how to show that name in the .plan file (ex. "Geez, Jo
Blow sure is nozy...").

Oh, some assumptions to answer: running SunOS 4.1 with BSD. Name pipes are
allowed with mknod and it appears fingerd will accept them as .plan files.

Please email responses to me, as I don't get to this group often, and this is
a pretty FAQish question.  Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

James Miller

2. are there some check disk tools or programs?

3. Turning .plan into a socket to log finger

4. Printer offline support is gone?

5. Finger - Remote Finger Doesn't Display .Plan

6. X11R4 twm menu color problem and a few others on RS6000.

7. finger and plan daemons: any way to get info on where the finger originated?

8. cannot find referenco to 'stat'

9. finger doesn't display plan file?

10. How to use .project and .plan files for "finger"?

11. finger and the .plan file

12. Finger log file

13. finger log file