Is this also security related?

Post by G. Fa » Tue, 19 Apr 1994 06:46:31

Hi! everyone, I have one question to which I do not know if there is
an answer. Is there a way to tell by whom and when a specific file is
read without any modification? It is easy to see when the file was
last time modified. This is useful if you hope to know who reads your
public files in a unix system (sun machines). Send an answer to me or
to the net if you know the answer. Many thanks in advance! G. Fang, a
user who tries to know more.

Post by Michael Rothste » Tue, 19 Apr 1994 10:45:19

>Hi! everyone, I have one question to which I do not know if there is
>an answer. Is there a way to tell by whom and when a specific file is
>read without any modification? It is easy to see when the file was
>last time modified. This is useful if you hope to know who reads your
>public files in a unix system (sun machines). Send an answer to me or
>to the net if you know the answer. Many thanks in advance! G. Fang, a
>user who tries to know more.

Let us assume you are using SUNOS (you say you are using a SUN, aren't you :-))
This question has two answers: the time can be found:
If you do a
man 2 stat
you will find that 3 dates/times are stored for each file: the access
time can be found by using stat or (better) by using the -ul options
to ls. This will work fine if the read was a local read; for nfs reads,
all bets are off, since, for efficiency purposes, the reader machine may
or may not report the times accurately (the open will be reported however).
As to who the miscreant is, there is no answer.
--
Michael Rothstein (Kent State U)| Any similarity between Kent State's opinions

1. I am looking for Linux Security FAQ and Security related sites

Hi!

Could you help me, please?
I am looking for a Linux Security FAQ and
Security related Web sites.

I have Slackware (kernel 2.0.30) and one of my users showed me how to
get root rights just for 2 seconds!
It is incredible, but he got them!
It was a trick with a ._ directory.

Thank you for the information!

Nick

2. CD-ROM with NCR35C810 SCSI support?

3. Security related question

4. mozilla 1.1 x86 binaries available

5. security related reading

6. Sending NetView Alerts

7. security related question

8. SMC FIFO bug in Dell XPS90? How to fix in Linux?

9. Links Related To comp.security.unix - FREE ACCESS

10. Apache-related security qeustion

11. Links Related To comp.security.unix - FREE ACCESS

12. Security Related Question

13. You think of a security related web page-- I make it! FOR FREE!