TCP Wrapper Logging

Post by XSqui » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I admit ahead of time that I saw the answer to my question posted here about
a month ago...and I also printed the answer so I would have it for future
reference.  And now I admit I lost that paper...

What is the "default" logging configuration for TCP Wrappers?  I want to
generate syslog entries for connections, and would like to avoid trying a
large number of configurations trying to find the right one...

-Ed

--
Semper Gumby
(Always Flexible)

TCP Wrapper Logging

Post by Erich Liebman » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I admit ahead of time that I saw the answer to my question posted here about
> a month ago...and I also printed the answer so I would have it for future
> reference.  And now I admit I lost that paper...

there is a greate news search machine on the web, its located at
http://www.deja.com they store every (non-binary) newspost since 1995 in
a 300GB database. you can search for posts containing specified subjects
or words. try to search there first in such a case will save
responsetime for you!

Quote:

> What is the "default" logging configuration for TCP Wrappers?  I want to
> generate syslog entries for connections, and would like to avoid trying a
> large number of configurations trying to find the right one...

sorry cannot help you here!
Quote:

> -Ed

> --
> Semper Gumby
> (Always Flexible)

TCP Wrapper Logging

Post by Sean Bower » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>What is the "default" logging configuration for TCP Wrappers?  I want to
>generate syslog entries for connections, and would like to avoid trying a
>large number of configurations trying to find the right one...

Taken from the 7.6 wrappers readme: "By default, the wrapper logs go
to the same place as the transaction logs of the sendmail daemon. The
disposition can be changed by editing the Makefile and/or the
syslog.conf file. Send a `kill -HUP' to the syslogd after changing its
configuration file. Remember that syslogd, just like sendmail, insists
on one or more TABs between the left-hand side and the right-hand side
expressions in its configuration file."

What I do (on my RH6.1 box) is redirect these to auth (or authpriv)
and in /etc/syslog.conf send auth.* to /var/log/auth/auth and to
/dev/tty10.

1. tcp-wrappers: logging failures, please help, I must be a moron

OK, I know this is supposed to be the default.  It doesn't work for me.

I'd really like it to work for me.

I want to use the ``local0''for tcp-wrappers in /etc/syslog.conf.  Have all
connections (successes and failures) logged to /usr/local/tcp-wrappers/log.

I've compiled it time and again, and I never get notices of the failures
(except the hostname mismatch ones).

Am I incurably dumb here or what?

--
I'm sick of SPAM.  Therefore, my email address is invalid.

2. a.out historical question

3. TCP Wrapper Logging

4. Question about the file "hosts.allow" ???

5. TCP wrappers log

6. acpi_os_queue_for_execution()

7. tcp-wrapper logging

8. Tuning the Kernal

9. tcp wrapper logging on Solaris 2.5

10. tcp wrappers (TCP/IP daemon wrapper)

11. TCP Wrappers: Problem logging in from local domain.

12. TCP-Wrappers and logging

13. can tcp wrapper be setup to not log successfull logins?