pipe question

Post by <g> » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:04:47

I cannot get my head around the reason why when I
use the pipe command the stright vertical pipe icon
has a very small space in the middle.(ie two small vertical
lines)

Simon

pipe question

Post by all mail refus » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 06:29:17

>I cannot get my head around the reason why when I
>use the pipe command the stright vertical pipe icon
>has a very small space in the middle.(ie two small vertical
>lines)

What proportion of your piped commands get lost ?

This is really not a good place for silly non-security questions and I'm
probably not the only person thinking about killfiling you.

--

pipe question

Post by <g> » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 04:36:39

please go ahead

> >I cannot get my head around the reason why when I
> >use the pipe command the stright vertical pipe icon
> >has a very small space in the middle.(ie two small vertical
> >lines)

> What proportion of your piped commands get lost ?

> This is really not a good place for silly non-security questions and I'm
> probably not the only person thinking about killfiling you.

> --

pipe question

Post by Barry Margoli » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 04:03:31

>I cannot get my head around the reason why when I
>use the pipe command the stright vertical pipe icon
>has a very small space in the middle.(ie two small vertical
>lines)

What does this have to do with Unix security?

Some fonts display the vertical bar as a solid bar, some display it with a
small gap in the middle.  I think the latter was used on early
low-resolution displays and printers so that you could easily see the
difference between "|" and "l" or "I".

If you don't like this, change fonts.

--

Level(3), Woburn, MA

1. Fork/redirect/pipe question (checked faq)

Hi,
I'm beating my head against the wall with this portion of a school assignment and
could use a hint.

We're writing a real simple shell that can execute a bunch of commands piped together.
We have to also re-direct a file into the first command that executes and I'm having
problems, for some reason figuring out how to do it.  Is the following scheme the
right path to take?

1) create a pipe
2) fork a child process
3) close write descriptor in child/read in parent
4) execv the command in the child
5) open the file, read it, and send it over the pipe to the child.

Have I got the gist of that, or am I totally out in left field?  If that is a valid
solution, what if we want the commands to run in the background?  It seems to me
that while the shell is processing the file, the shell won't be returned to the
user, allowing the commands to execute in the background.

An example of the type of command I need to chain together from my shell would be:
grep searchterm < inputfile | sort -r > outputfile

Just something that I cam up with that would meet the requirements.

Thanks so much for any assistance!
Rob
--
"This machine will not communicate, the thoughts and the strain I am under."
Radiohead/Street Spirit (Fade Out)

2. Netscape doesn't work after installing S3 Virge accelerated server

3. Named Pipe Question

4. FTPD virtual users, separate folders?

5. dd and pipe question

6. after rebooting my ip masq doesn't work

7. PIPE Question

8. does KDE interfere with XTerm defaults?

9. stdout, stderr and pipe question

10. bash: redirection/piping question

11. pipe question

12. Basic Pipes Question