How do i disable all ways to get access to the dos prompt on startup?

Post by Jens Olss » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

How do i disable all ways to get access to the dos prompt on startup?
The only way i know is setting BootKeys=0 in msdos.sys but that does
not disable all ways.

Thank You

Post by felicity+s.. » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

# How do i disable all ways to get access to the dos prompt on startup?
# The only way i know is setting BootKeys=0 in msdos.sys but that does
# not disable all ways.

this has nothing to do with unix security since you seem to be running one of
the windows variants.

you can't secure a windows 9x or 3.1 machine completely.  try upgrading to a
better OS if security is a concern.

--
To reply via mail, please remove the obvious from the email address.

How do i disable all ways to get access to the dos prompt on startup?

Post by Brett J. Kopetsk » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

[follow-up set to comp.security.misc]

> How do i disable all ways to get access to the dos prompt on startup?
> The only way i know is setting BootKeys=0 in msdos.sys but that does
> not disable all ways.

Set to boot from first HD, disable all key combos that allow for
entering dos, and remove the floppy drive altogether.

--
Brett J. Kopetsky                          |                This space

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/people/kopetsbj   |               left blank.

Post by Emad Ragy Anwa » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> How do i disable all ways to get access to the dos prompt on startup?
> The only way i know is setting BootKeys=0 in msdos.sys but that does
> not disable all ways.

> Thank You

I do not think that windows or dos has anything to do about security
issue ..

  --Emad

Post by Steve O'Hara Smi » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: How do i disable all ways to get access to the dos prompt on startup?
: The only way i know is setting BootKeys=0 in msdos.sys but that does
: not disable all ways.

    Don't install DOS on your UNIX machine.

Post by Wolfgang Den » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>> How do i disable all ways to get access to the dos prompt on startup?
>I do not think that windows or dos has anything to do about security
>issue ..

Well, this is c.s._unix_, and installing Unix on your PC is indeed  a
good  way  to  improve security and solve the problem mentioned above
:-)

Wolfgang Denk

--

Nearly everyone is in favor of going  to  heaven  but  too  many  are
hoping  they'll  live  long  enough  to see an easing of the entrance

1. How do i disable all ways to get access to the dos prompt on sta

It's 15 Dec 98  14:37:19,

discussion of How do i disable all ways to get access to the dos prompt on sta

 fe> this has nothing to do with unix security since you seem to be running
 fe> one of the windows variants.

Unless it's DOSemu under Linux. :-)  In which case, setting the
appropriate permissions would be the trick. :)

.. If this tagline was a snake it would have bit me. Good thing it isn't.
--
|Fidonet:  Tony Langdon 3:635/728.18

2. Sys Admin Wanted ASAP, UT/Austin, Reply by 5/20

3. Get "dos: no dos partition" from boot prompt

4. lsof

5. does installation CD commence with startup command from a DOS prompt?

6. Strategy for restoring root disk on Solaris by ADSM (TSM)

7. accessing dos partitions with wd7000fasst scsi, isc unix 2.2, dos[345]

8. backup fails after 1 or 2 runs

10. how to create "DOS-like prompt" at shell prompt

11. Different ways of doing the same thing?

12. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?

13. Samba w/ DOS box - what does DOS need?