'cryptdir' relies on missing 'crypt' ?

Post by Bobby D. Bryan » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

My Linux system (RH5.1) has a 'cryptdir' script in /usr/bin, which is
supposed to encrypt every file in a directory and then remove the
plaintext copies, but it invokes a certain 'crypt' program (or script)
which does not seem to exist anywhere on the system.  The script
indicates that 'crypt' accepts a filename as an argument, prompts for a
key, and then puts out an encrypted version of the file.

Is 'crypt' a standard utility that I should be able to find somewhere?
Is there another program that will provide the described functionality
so I can just modify 'cryptdir' to call it instead?

Thanks,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

'cryptdir' relies on missing 'crypt' ?

Post by Alan J Rosenth » Sun, 23 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Is 'crypt' a standard utility that I should be able to find somewhere?

If you have source code for a mainstream version of unix, if you have the
American distribution you'll have crypt.  Note that crypt(1) (i.e. the
command) is all but unrelated to crypt(3) (i.e. the library function, used for
encrypting passwords).  Your unix source licence may allow you to compile it
on your linux machine and use it there.
(International distributions of mainstream versions of unix lack the crypt
command.)

However, I wouldn't recommend it.  It's easily broken these days (it's the
Enigma machine).  See John Gilmore's "cryptbreaker's workbench" in the
comp.sources archives (or was it net.sources? a long long time ago, net-wise,
anyway).  I think that source code implementations of DES are floating around
(although I wouldn't know, because if you gave it to me you'd have to kill
me), and you can probably find something better such as blowfish.  While
you're working on installing something anyway, you might as well start with
something good.

The cryptdir program you've found in /usr/bin does not contain any
cryptographic code.  It just runs crypt on all files in a directory.
You could use it with a des or blowfish command with little modification.

Post by Bobby D. Bryan » Sun, 23 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> >Is 'crypt' a standard utility that I should be able to find somewhere?

> If you have source code for a mainstream version of unix, if you have the
> American distribution you'll have crypt.  [...]

> However, I wouldn't recommend it.  [...]

> The cryptdir program you've found in /usr/bin does not contain any
> cryptographic code.  It just runs crypt on all files in a directory.
> You could use it with a des or blowfish command with little modification.

I'll take a look at these.  I don't need very much security at all: it's just
that I've been backing up /home and a few other things to a Zip drive, and I want
to start dropping a copy off somewhere for an off-site copy, but I want to
discourage the idle from browsing my mail when they see the disk on my desk.

Thanks,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

1. Missing '.' and '..' directories

Hello all!!!

This is an interesting problem....  I have a client that somehow has deleted
the '.' and '..' entries in several directories.  I can create and remove
entries in
these directories, but I am unable to 'l'ist anything (gives an error
message that "l: cannot get the working directory: Not a directory (error
20)", I cannot
rm -r * from one layer down because it says that the directory is not empty...

BTW, this is SCO 3.2V5.0.2

Any ideas????

Mark
Mark L. Wise, CPIM               | Voice: (614)868-5033
President                        | Fax:   (614)868-1060

1312 Epworth Avenue              | WEB:   www.alpha2.com
Reynoldsburg, OH  43068-2116     | * Manufacturing/Distribution/Accounting SW
                                 | * WEB and E-mail Hosting Services
                                 | * Critical Server Hardware Maintenance

2. Switching the OS...

3. Sun 'find' is missing '-maxdepth'!

4. trouble with using Netscape & ppp

5. Apache 2.0.18a - 'Make' error re 'apr' - *.lo missing?

6. running apps under X

7. What's an 'mcd device' (because it's missing)?

8. Bynari Insight Server

9. 'double' or 'dbl' or 'dble', the disk space utilty

11. There's nothing when i use 'man',which part do i miss?

12. What is 'stty', 'term' & 'tty'

13. ftape won't compile..._irqaction is 'missing'